UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Plastic ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi basically the PVA / primer is to seal any dusty areas that are apparent after brushing down the surface .I have used plastic ply from the beginning ,trialing it for my local branch ,and as some one has said it does what it says on the tin .I have used it it on floating floors in excess of 30 sq mtrs ,floor boards ,weyroc floors and even ware wood floors have joined into screed.As long as the instructions are followed you won't find a better or easier product to use on the market and it's only 2mm thick.:hurray::hurray:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi basically the PVA / primer is to seal any dusty areas that are apparent after brushing down the surface .I have used plastic ply from the beginning ,trialing it for my local branch ,and as some one has said it does what it says on the tin .I have used it it on floating floors in excess of 30 sq mtrs ,floor boards ,weyroc floors and even ware wood floors have joined into screed.As long as the instructions are followed you won't find a better or easier product to use on the market and it's only 2mm thick.:hurray::hurray:
I assume you don't use it to strengthen floors in your installations?

S

Stan001

I have used it over a wooden floor, the floor must be sound. My customers floor was chipboard, all anchored under bathroom furniture. I had to keep a low threshold so plastic ply at less than 2.5mm height was perfect. At the price (cheap) and ease of use (it's got stickyback clear plastic you stick it down with – kneel on it you will glue you to the ground very strong, easy to cut with knife), and ease to carry (comes small packs you can carry under your arm, very light, you lay them down brickbond) I think it’s good gear.
I used BAL APD prime on top of the chipboard just to ensure a dust free starting surface. I used flex addy to fill in the top of the plastic play (its lots of small diamonds), then you tile away! ... won the TTA product of the year award. Quick, easy, cheap strengthening and decoupling.
(it’s not used to strengthen or flatten the floor)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I have seen this stuff in local tile shops, I would not risk using it:thumbsdown: Looks OK for Diy, I don't fancy laying a floor on cellotape as one guy from Dural called it. I don't see how it can be classed as a decoupling membrane. I have read all the tech stuff on Ditra and CI That makes sense, crack isolation, lateral movement etc. they do nothing to overcome deflection. IMO this is a gimick, if I need to overcome deflection I will use a suitable backer-board. If I need to overcome lateral movement or green screeds liable to shrink with curing, I will use Ditra or CI. No blue tack for me thank you:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

I have seen this stuff in local tile shops, I would not risk using it:thumbsdown: Looks OK for Diy, I don't fancy laying a floor on cellotape as one guy from Dural called it. I don't see how it can be classed as a decoupling membrane. I have read all the tech stuff on Ditra and CI That makes sense, crack isolation, lateral movement etc. they do nothing to overcome deflection. IMO this is a gimick, if I need to overcome deflection I will use a suitable backer-board. If I need to overcome lateral movement or green screeds liable to shrink with curing, I will use Ditra or CI. No blue tack for me thank you:thumbsup:
Me too!! :thumbsup:

S

Stan001

If I need to overcome green screed I'd use BAL Green Screed addy possibly with ditra or CI especially over UFH.

If I need to overcome flex on wood Id have the floorboards up and add extra noggins or/or hardi cement boards.

If I need to overcome an unavoidably flexible floor I’ll be using Fastflex with a solid bed tipped trowel to form a flex separation bed before the collapsable adhesive bed.

If i need to decouple laterally I’d use ditra or CI mat.

If i need to decouple two vertically moving or dissimilar surfaces (say from a wood to a screed area), I'd use an expansion joint.

if I want to decouple at the lowest height especially over chipboard floors I’d prime then use plastic ply.

There is no one magic do it all solution unfortunately. .... but I’m working on it and when I invent it I’m gonna sell it to you even more expensive than ditra and in an even brighter shade of orange! (and it’ll have a picture of me on the side of the roll – just like Paul Newman’s salad cream:thumbsup:)

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NEALE

Ithink the name is putting the trade of,if you have masive deflection yess use 18mm ply, but you will fined the ply will move on the joint and crack the tile on the lenth of the ply sheet,why becaues thair is no give it is to ridgid,cut plastic ply into strips to cover the joint this would allow movement under the adhesive.
What i am saying is the standerd bathroom job 4/5 m2 floorboards have been down twenty years, if the floor was going to deflect it would have done by now.:mad2:

Reply to Plastic ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Is it possible to remove the plastic trim from the edge of tiling. I want to tile...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.