UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Plastic ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

You have to try new products out to know how good thay are, only trying to save you time and mony mate:thumbsup:been tiling for 30 years this is a updat of wire mesh never had problem with that over 30 years:thumbsup:

Wire mesh... roofing felt... all been done mate..:lol:... but c,mon .. honestly you can't be telling me NMP is the NEW over boarding for timber substrates..?

So do you use an S2 adhesive with it then onto floors boards.. what about chip board floors..?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

You have to try new products out to know how good thay are, only trying to save you time and mony mate:thumbsup:been tiling for 30 years this is a updat of wire mesh never had problem with that over 30 years:thumbsup:

Hi Neale, I've been tiling over 40 years and remember expanding metal well. As I recall this method was used for timber substrates, only to bond sand and cement screeds prior to tiling. Not intended for use with adhesives, I used this method for years very succesfully. imo plastic ply has nothing in common with it. Time will tell, not for me I'm afraid:thumbsup:

G

Gazebo

I have used it over a wooden floor, the floor must be sound. My customers floor was chipboard, all anchored under bathroom furniture. I had to keep a low threshold so plastic ply at less than 2.5mm height was perfect. At the price (cheap) and ease of use (it's got stickyback clear plastic you stick it down with – kneel on it you will glue you to the ground very strong, easy to cut with knife), and ease to carry (comes small packs you can carry under your arm, very light, you lay them down brickbond) I think it’s good gear.
I used BAL APD prime on top of the chipboard just to ensure a dust free starting surface. I used flex addy to fill in the top of the plastic play (its lots of small diamonds), then you tile away! ... won the TTA product of the year award. Quick, easy, cheap strengthening and decoupling.
(it’s not used to strengthen or flatten the floor)

Above you say cheap strengthening and decoupling, but then go on to say not used to strenghten...... which one is it..????????

G

grumpygrouter

Ithink the name is putting the trade of,if you have masive deflection yess use 18mm ply, but you will fined the ply will move on the joint and crack the tile on the lenth of the ply sheet,why becaues thair is no give it is to ridgid,cut plastic ply into strips to cover the joint this would allow movement under the adhesive.
What i am saying is the standerd bathroom job 4/5 m2 floorboards have been down twenty years, if the floor was going to deflect it would have done by now.:mad2:
Isn't deflection in a timber floor caused by the movement of the occupants weight acting on the joists and boards? I don't see what the length of time the floor being down has to do with that. If you have sucessfully used Plastic Ply as a decoupler then carry on using it. Me personally, I can't get my head around the priciples it is try to put over so it will not be on my shopping list nor will I recommend it to my clients.

G

Gazzer

Wire mesh... roofing felt... all been done mate..:lol:... but c,mon .. honestly you can't be telling me NMP is the NEW over boarding for timber substrates..?

So do you use an S2 adhesive with it then onto floors boards.. what about chip board floors..?

Why are you referring to NMP ( No More Ply) I see this thread to concern Nicobond Plastic Ply ???..... 2 Totally different things to avoid confusion....Also this NEALE isnt me :smilewinkgrin:

N

NEALE

Dave can you show me some date on plywood for lateral movement?
Wood exspands and contracts, plywood or eny other solid overboarding product which is fixed to floor boards which as you know is nailed to the main support,the main support exspands and contracts,where the two sheets of plywood or eny other solid board meet you will have movement which will crack the floor tiles hope this helps.
Data on Plastic Ply, look on Google ?:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

Dave can you show me some date on plywood for lateral movement?
Wood exspands and contracts, plywood or eny other solid overboarding product which is fixed to floor boards which as you know is nailed to the main support,the main support exspands and contracts,where the two sheets of plywood or eny other solid board meet you will have movement which will crack the floor tiles hope this helps.
Data on Plastic Ply, look on Google ?:thumbsup:
but that's why we should leave a 2mm gap between them Neale to combat movement (and obviously use flexible adhesive).

T

TrumpersUnited

I know a tile shop in Derby that took this product into stock and tested it as the staff were unsure about this product. They got a good strong pallet screwed the boards down and then used plastic ply on top and tiled the pallet. Guess what it failed!:thumbsdown:

They also said you must use an S1 adhesive (which in my eyes will take the lateral movement anyway)

Stick to No More Ply or Hardibacker:thumbsup:

N

NEALE

Dave,i was just giving you example,all i know is that i have tiled 5 bathroom floors which have been around 80 years old over the last 12 months, one floor had slight bounce, when the job was done the floor was more rigid.

I have been back to one job as she needed her utilty floor tiling,which was wooden floorboards hight was the problem for the washing machine so i used Plastic Ply.

This was six months ago, if the product was going to fail i am sure it would have by now, due to the vibration of the washing machine, what more can i say the product works:thumbsup:

R

Richard Edwards

Ok Neale - I hear you load and clear - and I'm still not sure -

By the way I Ttest and trial products for a major uk co and at the same time I always open my eyes to new products and modern construction ideas as well new tools and plant - even developing / modifying the leading brand tools to improve the design and useability, so I'm not so conservative not to try new things.
I know N&C sell lots of this stuff - But I'm not about to use it instead of ensuring the substrate [timber / concrete ] is as sound as it can be and using other [ some would say techincally better -] methods of fixing.

N

NEALE

Dear Mr Richard Edwards.
Thanks for your comment,you trial products for a MOST major UK co,and help develop product for them / modifying the leading brands?(don't think so) name them.:lol:why would a major UK company come to you?:lol: PLEASE TELL.

OK what is B.S Standerd for over boarding floors. PLEASE TELL i know,wait for it 36mm ply wood, lay 18mm ply then over board that with 18mm the other way. even then thay will not put the B.S StAMP to it, may be given your back groud thay might ask you to tell them what to do?:8:

D

diamondtiling

Dear Mr Richard Edwards.
Thanks for your comment,you trial products for a MOST major UK co,and help develop product for them / modifying the leading brands?(don't think so) name them.:lol:why would a major UK company come to you?:lol: PLEASE TELL.

OK what is B.S Standerd for over boarding floors. PLEASE TELL i know,wait for it 36mm ply wood, lay 18mm ply then over board that with 18mm the other way. even then thay will not put the B.S StAMP to it, may be given your back groud thay might ask you to tell them what to do?:8:

Neale............you are a silly silly billy.

Yours, Dennis Healey.

:****:

Reply to Plastic ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Is it possible to remove the plastic trim from the edge of tiling. I want to tile...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.