Discuss Pricing madness? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
I am laying a porcelain (Grade 3 Homebase tiles) floor for 2 days. 12.5 sq m in a kitchen usual issues with multiple doorways and tiling into alcoves for some appliances (5 in this case). I was competing with another tiler for the quote - I usually get told I am more expensive. This time the customer told me I was way cheaper (under £400 for addy/grout/labour). The other tiler said it would take 8 days and cost £1000 and he had been recommended by a local tile shop. Guess he just didn't want the job!

J

Jeff the tiler

Or needed to give a "kick back" to the store. It's getting more common. Been asked recently by a particular store if they recommend me they want a 20% commission. Fine let them find someone else and see what a mess they get themselves into. I have been advising them on customer problems for the ages and now will charge them a cost for advice. Its getting stupid. They think we are earning fortunes, if only they knew the truth.

Somerset
There was a time when 12.5 metres was a days work tops, or has age clouded my memory!
I believe 12.5 metres is still a days work generally. Its all the other things that had to go with it that made it run into Day 2 - fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, gas cooker, and tumble dryer all needed tiling under. But it is reassuring seeing some agreement about timing - I thought I was missing something when this other guy claimed that all the extra cutting involved would make it extend to 8 days. It also meant that the customer needed some extra reassurance - I was watched a lot whilst I worked.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Pricing madness? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB