Discuss Nice Customers But They Are Driving Me Mad. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Think I'd rather wait 6 days whilst the cheque clears to avoid any embarresment.

You can't really bill a customer for say £2000, they offer to pay via debit card and then say to them oh well it's £2054 can you.

Of course you can. So long as they are aware of the charges at the time of sending invoice then there are no issues. Online companies regularly charge extra for certain payment methods

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Yep that's fair enough, as long as your happy and it works for you that's the main thing.

For me when I have quoted for a job and it has been accepted, I never mention payment, ask people how there paying, or can they leave payment before they go out etc, let alone asking them for payment via debit card or talk money unless more adhesive or other extra materials are needed.

If they bring the subject up first, it's easier - just the way I am I guess.
So if they never bought up the subject of getting paid you would just leave without knowing if your ever going to see your money?....lol
Giving a customer an option to pay by card is a great idea most people know there's a small charge for this but they get the bonus of credit without having to use you as there personal overdraft. .

S

StevieBoy

Of course you can. So long as they are aware of the charges at the time of sending invoice then there are no issues. Online companies regularly charge extra for certain payment methods
Well not in my book you can't.

So if a customer says I'll send you a cheque in the next few days, and you say "You can pay me now by debit card, but your £2000 bill will be £2054 you think that'll work?

I wouldn't be so rude as to even ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

StevieBoy

So if they never bought up the subject of getting paid you would just leave without knowing if your ever going to see your money?....lol
Giving a customer an option to pay by card is a great idea most people know there's a small charge for this but they get the bonus of credit without having to use you as there personal overdraft. .

Yes I would, I always give any customer 10 to 14 days, then if I have heard nothing I give them a call, email or text or whatever.

As I said before, and will again - politeness always pays.

I would hope to be recommended by that customer on the lines of, he never chases for money rather than not be recommended for hassling customers for money.

But if your desperate for money to be in your bank etc, I suppose a debit card machine is a good idea.:yum:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
My slow paying customer was annoying because it was 2 weeks work and over £600 of materials. I could live with a slow paying customer if it was a couple of days work and a couple of bags of addy.

I started off giving customers 7 days to pay but have now cut it down to three. I'm probably going to make it 'immediate payment' and reiterate the final cost the day before i finish the job.

S

Stocks Tiles

Yes I would, I always give any customer 10 to 14 days, then if I have heard nothing I give them a call, email or text or whatever.

I would hope to be recommended by that customer on the lines of, he never chases for money rather than not be recommended for hassling customers for money.

But if your desperate for money to be in your bank etc, I suppose a debit card machine is a good idea.:yum:

It's not about being desperate, it's about doing a job and getting paid at the end of it. Why on earth would you wait 10-14 days for a payment for a domestic customer?There's a reason I put these payments terms in place and that's for "trusting" customers that my "politeness" will get me paid, foolish to trust someone you don't know.

And no, if a quote is £2000 then all they pay is £2000 I don't just add on a charge at the end of the job.. If I did then my quotation would state "payment upon time of completion, card and cash payments are accepted as payment but please be aware there is a 2.7% charge for card payments."

I get highly recommended from jobs and there is no chasing payment issues for customers to complain about because I leave with it.

S

StevieBoy

It's not about being desperate, it's about doing a job and getting paid at the end of it. Why on earth would you wait 10-14 days for a payment for a domestic customer?There's a reason I put these payments terms in place and that's for "trusting" customers that my "politeness" will get me paid, foolish to trust someone you don't know.

And no, if a quote is £2000 then all they pay is £2000 I don't just add on a charge at the end of the job.. If I did then my quotation would state "payment upon time of completion, card and cash payments are accepted as payment but please be aware there is a 2.7% charge:smiley: for card payments."

I get highly recommended from jobs and there is no chasing payment issues for customers to complain about because I leave with it.

So you say 70% of your customers choose this method and your quotation states that if they pay via debit card there is a 2.7% charge fair enough.

But if the quotation is for £2000 that's all they pay - or do they automatically as good citizens, add the £54 for you as they can't be bothered to write a cheque?

So if they pay you £2000 via debit card and don't add the 2.7%, do you then ask them for the extra £54?

Or do you lose the £54? :smiley:

Q

Qwerty

For those of you that are in the "get my cash there & then brigade"........ how do you all operate after finishing a job? What I mean by this is-
1-How do you let them know how much they owe you? Typed invoice emailed or delivered by post? , verbally there & then or do you go out to your van and write out an invoice on carbonated sheet?
2- How do you audit your invoices for your self assessment or for handing to your accountant?
3- Do you offer a cooling off period to customers where applicable as per consumer rights act 2015? Are you aware of the consumer rights act 2015?
4- Did you serve T&C's on your customer prior to commencing work covering payment terms?

Timely & efficient working practices, a thorough understanding of consumer rights and clear communication of payment terms to customers is how I operate. I don't stand on a customers threshold waiting for payment, I don't commence work within a customers cooling off period without thoroughly explaining THEIR consumer rights in detail and getting them to sign a cancellation form if I do commence work and I offer all customers 7 days to pay with clear terms that if they breach the payment terms (served with the initial quote/ estimate) that interest will be charged at 3% per week.

All I know is guys, I treat each and every home owner this way and I have been paid for each and every one within the specified 7 days. I am expanding my business through ability to move with the times and meet customers needs & expectations.

Carry on trading the way you do, it isn't my reputation or business. A wise old millionaire businessman once told me that trust breeds trust. So far I can safely say he was right.

S

Stocks Tiles

For those of you that are in the "get my cash there & then brigade"........ how do you all operate after finishing a job? What I mean by this is-
1-How do you let them know how much they owe you? Typed invoice emailed or delivered by post? , verbally there & then or do you go out to your van and write out an invoice on carbonated sheet?
2- How do you audit your invoices for your self assessment or for handing to your accountant?
3- Do you offer a cooling off period to customers where applicable as per consumer rights act 2015? Are you aware of the consumer rights act 2015?
4- Did you serve T&C's on your customer prior to commencing work covering payment terms?

Timely & efficient working practices, a thorough understanding of consumer rights and clear communication of payment terms to customers is how I operate. I don't stand on a customers threshold waiting for payment, I don't commence work within a customers cooling off period without thoroughly explaining THEIR consumer rights in detail and getting them to sign a cancellation form if I do commence work and I offer all customers 7 days to pay with clear terms that if they breach the payment terms (served with the initial quote/ estimate) that interest will be charged at 3% per week.

All I know is guys, I treat each and every home owner this way and I have been paid for each and every one within the specified 7 days. I am expanding my business through ability to move with the times and meet customers needs & expectations.

Carry on trading the way you do, it isn't my reputation or business. A wise old millionaire businessman once told me that trust breeds trust. So far I can safely say he was right.

Ok, so basically here is how I do it.

I go and look at a job and take all the measurements, check what I need to check and ask about what they're having tile wise etc. I then write up a quotation and email this across to the customer, the quote contains everything that I am to supply, that I am to do and also what the customer is to supply so everything is clear. My payment terms are in the same section as the total cost so it is clear for customers to see. The majority of customers reply via email when accepting the quote and then sort dates out for the work to start. When I finish a job I always make sure the customer is happy with the result and I bring a invoice with me, with cash payments I sign as paid by cash with thanks and with card payments they can either be emailed or sent a text message with a receipt of the transaction - and they keep the invoice.

I'm not a money grabber, I take pride in my work and have a good reputation but I have been messed about with payments which lead me to taking this path. There are a few times that I accept bank transfer if I have a confident feeling and customers are at work then you have to make an exception. I shall certainly carry on trading this way as it's working better for me now and I've not had any issues since :)

S

Stocks Tiles

So you say 70% of your customers choose this method and your quotation states that if they pay via debit card there is a 2.7% charge fair enough.

But if the quotation is for £2000 that's all they pay - or do they automatically as good citizens, add the £54 for you as they can't be bothered to write a cheque?

So if they pay you £2000 via debit card and don't add the 2.7%, do you then ask them for the extra £54?

Or do you lose the £54? :smiley:

Oh my days lol, ok to make it as simple as possible.. I don't tell customers about the charge as I don't feel it's any concern to them as they are not paying any more than I have quoted.

I take a hit of 2.7% and I am happy with that as I'm stress free :)

Wish I'd never posted now haha

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
You have to remember that after you get paid by the customer and if there is a fault in your workmanship then any reputable tiler will return to resolve the issue. It's all part of the service.

If a customer drags out the payment process then the tiler will probably drag out the resolution process.

I'm just saying that the more i bend over for customers the more they take advantage.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester

So what would you do if after 10 to 14 days you rang them for payment and they say there not paying as there not happy with the job.......

Q

Qwerty

Ok, to those who are dead against not allowing customers a week or so to pay for services rendered or goods supplied, can I safely assume none of you accept cheques as forms of payment? So far in this thread those against appear not to allow cheques (by virtue of the fact that they disagree with allowing a delay in payment), against bank transfer (unless it's done there and then whilst you are still in their home) and you are against offering them paying by card. This only leaves payment by cash or in kind!? Hmmmmm. I know what that screams of to some customers!

May I draw your attention to this-

Problem with building work, decorating or home improvements - Citizens Advice

The new act gives more rights to consumers. This is a good thing for me as I can advise them of their rights in detail and safeguard them from cowboys. It's not just about how a customer pays, but how the tradesman operates and their knowledge (or lack) of consumer law.

I guess I have either been extremely lucky with my customers, my knowledge and passing of this onto new potential customers through explanation in conversation, email and in my T&C's has deterred any chancers who may have tried to not pay/ mess me around. Either way it's been a win win situation for me and my business.

Q

Qwerty

So what would you do if after 10 to 14 days you rang them for payment and they say there not paying as there not happy with the job.......

Sorry, I meant to answer this in my last post but I was on one!

Firstly, I would never phone them to chase an outstanding payment. The advisable action (from Trading Standards) is to send a letter by recorded delivery backed up with an email of the same, respectfully requesting the outstanding amount within a specified period and that I would waiver any charges if this was complied with. I would also add that if this wasn't paid that charges would be added (detailing them) and legal action taken, giving the name and address of my solicitor, and details on the small claims court procedure. It would be written in a clear, concise and professional non threatening way. I have never had to do this, but I have a draft letter drawn up which has been checked and approved by Trading Standards (I am a Trading Standards approved member so they check all of my documents).

Hope that answers your question

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
So in my case i completed the job on Fri. Sent out the invoice on Saturday (stating payment within 3 days). Followed up with an email on Wednesday due to payment being 1 day overdue. Then chased again wednesday evening via phone to be told payment has been set up for bank xfer on Fri.
Chased Fri afternoon via leaving voicemail.

Got bank xfer literally 30seconds later.

This couple should be ashamed with themselves.

The bottom line is that from start of job to final payment was 3weeks. By that time my credit card was asking me for payment for this couples materials.

My only mistake on this job is that i should have asked for staged payments.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Geoff....I hear what your saying mate, but is it not easier just to ask for payment when you have finished?
Most of my customers pay on completion with out even asking for it......a cheque is as good as cash you can't cancel a cheque unless in extreme circumstances like you've lost your cheque book.......bank transfer is fine providing they do it when they say there going to......Most don't so I chase it with a text....but I keep on top of it.
I've been in buissnes for over 30 years .....and I trust nobody. .....the longer you leave payment me more excuses they come out with for not paying....

Q

Qwerty

That's fine guys, you work your way and I work mine. I'm just trying to educate with regards to consumer rights and staying the right side of the law. This forum is all about sharing information and tips to make your business easier/ more successful.

Payment for goods/ services is a personal thing that varies from business to business. It's the working practices surrounding this that can be illegal and lead to a tradesman being prosecuted.

Just one local example- Rogue trader waived rights to customers’ “cooling off” period without them knowing

Oh, and the lowdown on customers stopping cheques....it can be done easily and does not need to be an exceptional circumstance but if the customer writes the cheque with the intention then that is the offence (albeit almost impossible to prove unless customer is stupid enough to admit it)....
Cheques - Citizens Advice

Geoff....I hear what your saying mate, but is it not easier just to ask for payment when you have finished?
.....and I trust nobody. .....the longer you leave payment me more excuses they come out with for not paying....

In short, no. I tell them that the invoice is as per quote or if anything else added from initial estimate and that I will email/ post invoice that evening.
As I said before, if your working practices work for you then that's fine. My business is all about trust (hence why I made the effort to be a Trading Standards approved trader) and this has never seen me fall foul of a dodgy customer or a bad judge of character on my part.......oh, and I don't work for builders which helps!!:D

@Andy Allen I meant to ask, and others that insist on payment there & then on completion......I am curious as to what steps you have in place if a customer refuses to pay or doesn't have the ability to (no cheques or cash or ability to pay online)?

S

StevieBoy

Not that that has ever happened to me in all the years I've been tiling, because whenever I leave a job I ask the customer the question, are you happy with everything.....

But if it did, I go round to discuss it with them obviously, and put things right.

What that's got to do with paying with a debit card machine etc, I'm not sure :confused:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
That's fine guys, you work your way and I work mine. I'm just trying to educate with regards to consumer rights and staying the right side of the law. This forum is all about sharing information and tips to make your business easier/ more successful.

Payment for goods/ services is a personal thing that varies from business to business. It's the working practices surrounding this that can be illegal and lead to a tradesman being prosecuted.

Just one local example- Rogue trader waived rights to customers’ “cooling off” period without them knowing

Oh, and the lowdown on customers stopping cheques....it can be done easily and does not need to be an exceptional circumstance but if the customer writes the cheque with the intention then that is the offence (albeit almost impossible to prove unless customer is stupid enough to admit it)....
Cheques - Citizens Advice

In short, no. I tell them that the invoice is as per quote or if anything else added from initial estimate and that I will email/ post invoice that evening.
As I said before, if your working practices work for you then that's fine. My business is all about trust (hence why I made the effort to be a Trading Standards approved trader) and this has never seen me fall foul of a dodgy customer or a bad judge of character on my part.......oh, and I don't work for builders which helps!!:D

@Andy Allen I meant to ask, and others that insist on payment there & then on completion......I am curious as to what steps you have in place if a customer refuses to pay or doesn't have the ability to (no cheques or cash or ability to pay online)?
Hi Geoff
I would say 99% of customer pay me when I finished without me even asking for it.......I don't insist on being paid when finished but I do ask how and when there going to pay me if no money/ cheque or bank transfer is forth coming......to leave a customers house with no knowledge of how, when, if your ever going to get paid imo is barmy. At the end of the day it's just a discussion about payment and however they choose to pay is fine ....providing they stick to it..

Going back to cheques. ...I think Ollie, a forum member, had a dodgy customer that canceled a cheque .......the court wasn't interested in why she canceled the cheque he was awarded judgement purely on the fact she shouldn't have written a cheque and then canceled it....
Would be interested if anyone has had a similar experience.
Like you said this is what a forum is all about....sharing information and different views on things. ..:)

B

bcd-87

You have to remember that after you get paid by the customer and if there is a fault in your workmanship then any reputable tiler will return to resolve the issue. It's all part of the service.

If a customer drags out the payment process then the tiler will probably drag out the resolution process.

I'm just saying that the more i bend over for customers the more they take advantage.

I'd take advantage of you if you bent over

Reply to Nice Customers But They Are Driving Me Mad. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I am planning to tile bathroom with large porcelain tiles 1200x600 over water-resistant backer...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB