Discuss Priorities in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

I quit my career and started tiling after hearing this (or a variation of it) approx 10 years ago...

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Theres people who work to live and live to work , who strive to be vat registered (weird some people) and want massive houses and nice cars ont drive o_O
Me ,i work 4/5 day weeks (very rare i do weekends) i work to live , im not vat registered or rich:( i live in a nearly paid off 4 bed house and drive a brand new audi a5 black edition coupe, i must be doing something right ;)

J

J Sid

I reckon Julian Sidney might say it ;0)
yes i work alot, I enjoy my work.
I did spend 20 years enjoying life (until I got married :( ), yacht racing, pleasure sailing, skiing, golf and no responsibilities.
now I'm just catching up and getting ready for my retirement, when I can start enjoying life again.

It's just a good job I love what I do, every job a different challenge and a lot of job satisfaction, if people don't feel the same perhaps a new career is needed :)

I

Italy

yes i work alot, I enjoy my work.
I did spend 20 years enjoying life (until I got married :( ), yacht racing, pleasure sailing, skiing, golf and no responsibilities.
now I'm just catching up and getting ready for my retirement, when I can start enjoying life again.

It's just a good job I love what I do, every job a different challenge and a lot of job satisfaction, if people don't feel the same perhaps a new career is needed :)
it was time to start working ...... :)

O

One Day

10 years ago I quit a relatively lucrative sales career (area sales manager for industrial sales).
Was spending far too much time away from wife and kids, and the company felt that they owned me - I had to have email and phone on all evening and week-end and whilst on hols etc...no matter how well I smashed targets - they just wanted more and more and more. My only satisfaction was a spreadsheet each week showing my figures.

I decided tiling would be an easy and lucrative venture which would give me more time with the family.
I was right about that last part anyway...!

I love it though and really wish I'd done it 20years ago.

H

hmtiling

10 years ago I quit a relatively lucrative sales career (area sales manager for industrial sales).
Was spending far too much time away from wife and kids, and the company felt that they owned me - I had to have email and phone on all evening and week-end and whilst on hols etc...no matter how well I smashed targets - they just wanted more and more and more. My only satisfaction was a spreadsheet each week showing my figures.

I decided tiling would be an easy and lucrative venture which would give me more time with the family.
I was right about that last part anyway...!

I love it though and really wish I'd done it 20years ago.
Seems you've picked up a little bit in 10 years too ;)

L

LM

I use to work seven days a week and sometimes still do, it's a tough one to call. The upside is you can provide a lot for your family, but then that's the down side, what's the point of having a family if you don't see them growing up?
It's a fine balance and t's not easy to judge everyone on because everyones circumstances are different.
Do you only work 5 days and not be able to allow them to go on the ski trip or have an iPad or do you give them every thing but hardly know them?
I know I'm speaking in pretty general terms because of course everyones situation is different. When I was younger I went for it with both hands and in some respects done rather well and in some respects I sometimes think I was a busy fool.
One things for sure, if your able to debate this topic in your head then your a lucky soul!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Priorities in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB