UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Problems with bal micromax grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I did call bal and tbeir area rep said he could not get involved until topps contacted bal. Tops wont admit there is a problem tbough and continue to blame it in the following ,how tbegrout was mixed,the dirt tools we used! And would you believe the size of the space between the tiles which is @4mm

Yes it always come,s down to "its the tiler,s fault".

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I have asked them to replace the grout at their cost inc labour and topps are now making all sorts of excuses. I have said they are the experts so should have provided me with the best tools for the job as this grout has scratched the chrome mosaic tiles also

I was going to say actually, your size of tile would suggest it's ceramic, and could be a gloss finish. Topps shouldn't be supplying you with micromax if they are also supplying you with gloss, glass, metalic or any tile that has a shinny finish. It will scratch. Standard Bal grout would of be suitable for what your describing and considerably cheaper than micromax.

Could you possibly upload a picture. There's been a few suggestions of what might be the problem. I think a picture would enable us to be pretty accurate so you've got something you can go back and tackle topps with.

The guys in my local topps are quite knowledgeable, but that being said, they are still sales advisors and not professional tilers. Did you fix yourself, or did you emply a tiler. If the later, did your tiler not question the grout choice on the scratching issue alone?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
So what was the explanation for the discolourisation? You could blame topps for the scratches, but only if the metallic mosaics were purchased from topps and if the grout was suggested/recommeded at point of sale.

I can't see how the grout drying off white and of a gray colour being there fault. Unless of course the grout has scratched particles of the "metallic" covering on the mosaics and these have coloured the grout in effect. If that is the case topps could take partial blame with what i mentioned above.

But to be completely honest, your tiler should of read the back of the bag first and i think he would of drawn the same conclusion, Not saying he's a bad tiler at all, but there is a warning of damage to tiles on the reverse of the micromax bags.

Tiler should have known not to use this sand rich product on mosaics end of.

Topps do have their issues I know but the people in CTD and such like are also just salespersons. What makes their knowledge any better? Topps have 300+ stores in the UK, I believe they should have at least one in store tiler as I'm sure there are hundreds of guys out there needing a constant throughout this recession that perhaps don't have enough work themselves but have a massive knowledge of tiling, tiling products and substrates. Etc.

C

Concrete guy

I found the bal forum and posted my concern and was contacted by their contracts manager and bal is coming out tomorrow.

Yes my tiler did ask if I was sure. I wanted him to use the micro max and I said yes as I was supplied all the right stuff from topps

Op states tiler queried the product use - it's tough to hold him responsible in this instance.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Nothing about thecolour just as the grout is gritty it is mot as white as microflex and the tiles are brilliant white so the darker grout stands out more basically

I'd be taking the matter up with topps. Looks like their recommendations were based on profit margins rather than correct product selection. If you wanted a brilliant white then it's microflex all the way, but as i've said BAL's standard white grout is still miles cheaper and would of been fit for purpose. If you needed it to be a little flexible then add a little GT1.

Reply to Problems with bal micromax grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.