UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Problems with bal micromax grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lynne

Hi dave
they are useless,
i explained what're spoke about on Monday and they said they will put an offer out to me only if I get a quote ...
i asked so I get the worse case scenario and Marion at customer services was vague and said she agreed this has gone on far too long and she would speak to h boss and come back to me the same day and guess what ... Nothing ...I have left a message for her yesterday and stll waiting

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I used to tile for a company that was on Topp's "recommeded trades" list. To my knowledge they stopped having recommended tradesman just over a year ago. But, it was difficult enough getting Topp's backsides into gear then, i had some jobs i went to look at for my local topps that took 5-6 months to get the nod, and the almost the same to recieve payment from them.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but this may take a while.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Marginally off-topic. Not stealing your thread Lynne. But i'm using Micromax Cocoa at the moment and too be honest i hate it.

It's a nightmare to clean and really really gritty. Which made me think about your issue lynne. I'm just wondering wether there is too much "grit" and not enough colour pigment. Maybe the grey tones or colour you were experiencing was because of this perhaps?

But other than that it's also a real nightmare to clean. To actually grout the wall with it is like the krypton factor. Most ended up on the floor!
The travertine i'm grouting with it was a 305x305x 10 as well. Albeit, i#ve cut these in half so there's proberbly an extra 3 linear metres per square metre with what i'm doing. Now the bag states for this size of tile, but at 9mm depth the coverage per 5Kg bag is 17.7sqm. Absolute tosh! I had to break into a second bag today to complete the wall i was doing. Meaning i've got coverage of around 6sqm for a 5Kg bag.

I'm seriously, seriously considering getting my pen and paper out and writing a letter of complaint.
Customer wanted the same colour in the main bathroom as well. 20sqm on walls, 4.5ish on floors. I've flat refused and offered them Weber brown instead.

L

Lynne

Called topps spoke to customer services mgr. Told him i hadetters to go out to all senior managers and the ceo based at hq. Said happy to take days holiday to go to hq with a journalist who is a friend of the family and guess what they suggested dave gives me a quote for the worse case senario a full refit. Tbey are alo wanting one of thekr tilers to quote also . I dont trust this and want dave to do the work and will insist this or go to the top of topps lol

R

Rookery

I have had a call from topps and they are sending a local tiler from chester le street to do a report and quote on thursday night. Daves doing this slso for me so when both quotes go into topps they will send out an offer. The bal rep told me this grout has been reformulated as theyare having too many customers
Complaining

I said this in post 20. I still feel some responsibility rests with BAL as they continued to ship the product whilst knowing it was the subject of problems.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Bal rep been said yes wrong gout been used the discolouration of the grout is nothing to do with their ready mixed adhesive . There has been some overwashing in places as the grout has caught out the tiler and only very experienced tilers should use this.

Say what?

BAL rep has been and has said only very experienced tilers should use the particular grout?

Couple of random questions just for my own curiosity, I have read the thread but might have missed the answers: -

What's the original tiler said, and why hasn't he provided a quote to fix the job? I'm assuming you were happy with his work in the end? Did he get paid in full for it all?
And... how come topps and BAL haven't said that the original tiler perhaps should have spotted the erroneous supplying of the wrong grout?

As tilers, when we fix two batches of tiles that are not exactly the same, it'll be the tiler that is to blame. Why? - He should have the experience to know that he needs to A) check the order and B) work from a whole bunch of boxes at the same time and not just one at a time and get the next - so that even the slight size/colour differences in the same-batch tiles can be overcome.

So I'm wondering a lot about the original tiler myself. Where's he in all of this now? And how come not many have jumped on the old 'the tiler shouldn't bave used it' bandwagon which is what we'd normally see from reps and suppliers and whatnot?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I think the tiler raised concerns but was instructed to go ahead as topps informed customer that was the correct products.

As i've already said, i'm using this product currently. Two bathrooms and the grout in the second room will not be BAL Micromax. It's awlful to work with, a nightmare to clean, smells bloody awlful to the point it made me feel ill. I grouted the remaining walls yesterday, and went in this morning for a final clean down. The dust from grouting is clinging onto the dry grout joints big time. The grouting now looks a grey-ish colour. I got a nail brush on to it and the dust does eventually clean off, but it's very stubborn. I think i'm going to need to put a day or two extra into cleaning. So i'm back there tomorrow.

I have complained through topps to BAL. Mainly due to coverage issues. i've been given another bag to start with it to carry on. But as i've said i will not be using it in the other room.
I'll see where i'm at and what it looks like at the end of the job, that'll form the basis of wether i complain any further. But regardless of any complaint or outcome, i will not be using it again.

Reply to Problems with bal micromax grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.