UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss PTS Tiling Courses - Essex Centre in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I did the PTS course in Harlow and can honestly say that it was well worth the investment. I opted for the four week course and not only learnt the obvious basics of tiling but learnt the differences between ceramics, porcelains and stones, as well as tanking, underfloor heating and business startup / development.

I received plenty of practical experience, straight sets, diagonal sets, inset mats and patterns, raised diamonds, box sections, brickbond with 2 borders (1 patterned) and a bloody diagonal set around a window that was so out of true that I had to pack it by over 20mm. Upon finishing the course I had the confidence to take on just about any job. In fact, my second job involved installing underfloor heating, tanking and then tiling walls and floor (60 x 40 vitrified ceramic) with a natural stone pebble border - no worries! My third job was to lay a porcelain floor with 3 different sizes in a random pattern, it's all been plain sailing since that baptism of fire.

Suffice to say that the course taught me everything that I have needed to know and, especially, gave me the confidence to quote and win jobs knowing that I will deliver a high quality result.

My thanks go to Clynton, Pete and Tony for making it fun.

A

alberttrotter1

Dan,
I did the 4 week course at Harlow back in June last year.
Considering i had'nt laid a tile before hand and i now have the confidence to go full time later this year, it was a good course.
The staff that conducted my training are very helpful and i have recently been down there to see them with an issue i had, and they just added to the confidence.
Clinton and Tony were my instructors and a great help as im sure the other staff are as well.
The full set up provides a good insight to a brilliant career.
As always, The cost of the course is not something to snigger at, but my main reason for doing the course was because i have a big place in Spain that needed the floor doing and the quote i got from an English tiler living out there was a few hundred pound less than the cost of the course, so that got me thinking how important it is to have the basics of a trade behind you, and it has just escalated from there really. Having spoken to them last week, They are also looking into having some of their staff trained as NVQ assessors depending on iterest into doing it.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Albert

T

Trevor Harmer

I have been tiling for a number of years now but never on a professional level and felt I needed to brush up on my skills and get some sort of indication of the quality of my workmanship before setting up my own business.

I would like to inform any would be tilers out there that you can't go far wrong with PTS. They have a training centre in Warrington and one in Harlow Essex.

Living in Chester it made sense for me to travel to Warrington being only 20 miles down the road but due to circumstances Warrington was closed for August DOH!!

I couldn't wait 6 weeks so I was going to go to Cannock with another trainer because it was closer than Harlow but after speaking to Nicola at PTS, in Harlow, I decided to take the long trip down to Essex, PTS understood my predicament and helped me out with accommodation for the duration of the course which was two weeks.
The reason I have waffled on about this is to emphasize the attention they give to their clients from the beginning, they didn't need to make this offer to me as the course was full!

I came away with a greater understanding of tiling and all other aspects associated with it the passing on of information for Business set up inland revenue, tax and Excel spread sheets for accounts and diary's (thank you Jean), was excellent Every penny was well spent and I have now rebooked to go on the Basazza Course in September at Warrington.

That should say enough about PTS I will leave the rest for you to experience for yourselves you will not be disappointed.

I would like to say a big thank you to Sharon and Tony.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Tony I will see you in Warrington.:thumbsup:

All the best Trevor.

F

freddie h

Hello Dan,

I did the PTS course in June this year at Harlow, I was very impressed with Mark when I went to have a look around before booking. He showed me around and had the confidence to allow me to wander around and chat to the delegates that were on currently the course.

I opted for the full 4 weeks and learnt everything from what tools to buy, how to be self employed and run my own business, setting out, cutting tiles, nipping :furious3:, grouting etc...

It wasnt the cheapest course that I found, but thought it was well worth the money. Although I feel that the real value is in the fact that they give you a helpline number, I have called for the support a number a times and they have always come up trumps (I think Clynton felt he was with me on some of my first jobs!!!)

Thanks to Clynton, Sharon, Jean and Tony :thumbsup:

225driver

Hi

I completed my 4 week course at Harlow on Friday:hurray:. thoroughly enjoyd it Lernt a hell of alot
My thanks to Tony and Clinton:thumbsup: the two instructors, they realy know there stuf and are very patient and always available to help you with advice, (and the obligatory banter that made it a great laugh).
The course was very comprehensive with leading addy companys coming in to give talks and demos.And learning varios typey of tiling , straight sets, brick bond floor mats raised boarders and that dam dig set round the totaly out of square window deep joy:grin: and much more.
Certanly learnt what nippers are for as we didnt use the wet cutter for the first 2 weeks
I will be doing the Basazza course with them in Jan 09 hopefuly

I would fully recomend there courses to anybody, they can help you out with accommodation if it is required

And if i have any problems in the future both Clint and Tony are only a phone call away wich gives you a bit of peace of mind I would give them 100/ 10 if i could but they will have to make do with 10/10

Again many thanks to all at P.T.S in Harlow for makeing this a thoroughly great course:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

curlycan

Hi all just finished my 4 week course at stc in Harlow. Wow my head hurts with all the info overload It really was an eye opener but in a good way. The trainers were brilliant they were a fountain of information and no problem was too little to help with.
If anybody is considering doing this course then please don't do the 2 week but do the 4 week you won't be disappointed I promise.
My thanks go to Colin ,Tony and all the girls in the office they were a real help with all the paper work.

G

GJG TILING

I completed the 4 week course in August at the Warrington site. Money well spent for me and the staff were fantastic. ( Warren & Dave )The help they give after the course is priceless and ive even had work thrown my way from them. Anyone wanting to go on the course should choose the 4 weeks. The guys that were on the course with me had never picked up a tile in there lives but at the end of the course there work was fantiastic and a real eye opener. I would recommend the course to anyone. I have been tiling a few years (self taught) but needed to know if i could improve and where i was going wrong, PTS has taught me a great deal and given me more confidence. I dont know everything but i'm still learning and they are only a phone call away. Nice one fella's. :hurray:
Grego.

G

guil.rocha

hi,
I've just finished the four week course a couple of weeks ago in Harlow. I went in with the minimum knowledge of tiling and have come out confident enough to take on anything part from the mossaic which i plan on going back to learn. I've moved to england from the states a couple of years ago so i was having a hard time with the names and expressions of things in this trade which i didn't think was going to be so different. The staff there were great to on explaining everything to me. Their teaching methods are great and easy to follow as long as you want to learn. I recommend this course to anyone who is serious about learning to tile and starting up for themselves. Many thanks to Collin, Tony and Clinton!

S

ScottG13

I did a 2 week course at the Harlow centre. Wanted to go for the 4 week but wasn't possible due to work commitments and all. I was shocked at how much i learnt in such a short space of time. I saw on a previous post someone mentioned 'information overload'. Your not kidding, i was taking so much in it was making my head hurt. I sat down recently over a couple of evenings and wrote up all the notes i scribbled down over the 2 weeks, the paper i got through!

There was a lot of hands on as well as theory, I learnt a lot and i enjoyed it.

Big thanks to Clynt and Tony, they really do know their stuff, very clever in their method of teaching too.

I would recommend this course to anyone, if you can, go for the 4 week course. I will be going back some time in the future to do the mosaic course, but in the mean time I have some friends and family jobs to do, my bathroom - floor to ceiling then i will be ready to go out into the big world of tiling.

N

Noaksy

Just to add to my previous post, they got me on a goverment funded nvq, there is still some funding left, I did all the paperwork last saturday had a call a couple of days ago from the skills people just to confirm I am who they said I am and just waiting for an assessor to call me. they are called specalist trade courses now, and not specalist training courses.

Reply to PTS Tiling Courses - Essex Centre in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner Tiling Courses 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Day Tiling Courses? These are brilliant for a DIY...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Stoke-on-Trent College provide Tiling courses for school leavers and mature students with both...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are looking for a tiler for potential tiling work in the Suffolk and Essex area. We...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.