UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss PTS Tiling Courses - Essex Centre in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Lol NVQ in two days.

Unless it was the EWPA route which involves several visits to the training centre for profiling, reviews and then practical tasks followed by professional discussion.

Practical task and professional discussion can be done in two days but initial profiling and reviews can take the assessor several weeks and often months.

So from start or registration to finish in two days simply not possible.

Don't I know it Max, the ironic part of it is, I was on the car park of a college who had applied for accreditation from the TTA for centre of excellence, as a member of the fixer training committee, I was just reflecting how sad the college had not quite met the criteria required.

That was the moment I got the text, guaranteeing me a NVQ in two days, any trade. For me it makes a mockery of the system:thumbsdown:

O

Oleschool

that's basically how i got mine through them although the assessor was jason king. he was due to visit me on site but due to serious problems he couldn't make it so asked me to supply photographic evidence and hey presto........10 weeks later my certificate landed on the doormat

Methods of Assessment
The assessor will plan with you to choose the best method of assessing you in relation to your individual circumstances.
Assessors must ensure that they are:
• Valid
• Reliable
• Safe and manageable
• Suitable to your needs.

I had a occasion were a site visit was not possible due to the candidate's lack of work ( relevant at the moment). This tiler had been earning his living prior to needing a NVQ and was clearly experienced. As an assessor i gained appropriate alternative evidence to prove he was an experienced and very competent tiler.

Site visit's by an assessor are used more readily as it can be deemed reliable and valid. Also we can quickly gain good evidence and cover a great deal of the criteria need. However site visit's on occasion are not practical or possible. So mike your assessor may well of made a judgement call because of your obvious experience. Now! (to throw the cat among the pigeons) it world seem all are in agreement that you can do a 2 or 4 week tiling course and become a competent professional tiler, but yet you say it is impossible to prove this in less then ten weeks!! As in white beams case i could if he had strong evidence at hand, complete all paperwork necessary. I could collate his nvq portfolio in two days, although it is the CAA guidelines this should not be done within ten weeks. note also that there is now no ten week rule.

i would like think i could prove i was a competent tiler in two days , lol i think i could do it in less then an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Max@ableskills

yet the experience workers can go the EWPA route and simulate there practical.

I had a occasion were a site visit was not possible due to the candidate's lack of work ( relevant at the moment). This tiler had been earning his living prior to needing a NVQ. As an assessor i gained evidence to prove he was an experienced and very competent tiler. Site visit's by an assessor are used more readily as it can be deemed reliable and valid. Also we can quickly gain good evidence and cover a great deal of the criteria need.

I would have advised this candidate to go down the EWPA route as he had a lack of work. He could have produced his simulated work at the training centre but before that I would have validated his claim that he was an established and experienced wall and floor tiler at profiling stage and then by validating his supplied witness testimonies.

O

Oleschool

I would have advised this candidate to go down the EWPA route as he had a lack of work. He could have produced his simulated work at the training centre but before that I would have validated his claim that he was an established and experienced wall and floor tiler at profiling stage and then by validating his supplied witness testimonies.

unfortunately then you had to have five years experience, he could prove about four years. Today he would of been ok as i't 3 years.

Max have had only heard good things said about ableskills by the way

R

rwtiling22

I Have just finshed a 2 week course with S.T.C who were P.T.S traing and please let me say I would recommend this course to anyone. I have read some of the comments on here about P.T.S/S.T.C and there N.VQ's most N.V.Q's are done in the same way. I have 2 N.V.Q's a level 2 in plant operating and a level 4 in managing a non hazordus landfill and in both these subjects all I had 2 do was take a lot of photos and be photographed pionting at things relavent to what was involved in each of the 2 subjects. I do belive that most if not all N.V,Q's are carried out in this way. I think S.T.C however did have issues with an assesor and so he is no longer being used. Everyone who attended the same 2 week course and the guys who were finishing thier all said that it was very informing and that Clint the trainer came across as being very knowledgable in tiling. Jean who carries out the business start up and marketing was also very informative.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to PTS Tiling Courses - Essex Centre in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner Tiling Courses 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Day Tiling Courses? These are brilliant for a DIY...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Stoke-on-Trent College provide Tiling courses for school leavers and mature students with both...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are looking for a tiler for potential tiling work in the Suffolk and Essex area. We...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.