Discuss Putting down hardiebacker board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Hulloo

Hey people hope u can advise me.....I am currently installing a new shower room in my house. Im upto the stage of tiling the floor. The floor is made up of wooden floorboards on wooden joists.

The floor was slightly unlevel so i decided to use everbuild self leveling compound after priming with SBR bonding and securing down any loose floorboards. This has given a great result.

The next stage is to lay down the 12mm cement based hardie backer boards.

To give the boards that extra security before screwing down using the galvanised screws, I have decided to lay the boards down on a very thin bed of dri wall adhesive (Had a spare bag lying around) then screw down when set.

My question is if i follow the above procedure would i first need to prime the self levelled floor with PVA for the dri wall to give the hardie backer a secure fix? If so what ratio mix of PVA to water and for how long should I leave it before laying the boards......

Many thanx, hope u can help.....

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Mike says, the correct method is as he states, if the slc is the type that can be used over timber then you don't have a problem. The boards can be glued and screwed using a notched trowel, but if your slc is not suitable for timber you may have to lift it and go the route Mike suggests. Not many slc products are usable on wooden floors:thumbsup:

PS. most SBR dilute 3:1 with clean water, but check with manufacturers instructions

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hulloo

As Mike says, the correct method is as he states, if the slc is the type that can be used over timber then you don't have a problem. The boards can be glued and screwed using a notched trowel, but if your slc is not suitable for timber you may have to lift it and go the route Mike suggests. Not many slc products are usable on wooden floors:thumbsup:[/

The SLC was suitable for wooden floors :)

H

Hulloo

i would suggest trying a few screws through the slc and into the floorboards to make sure the slc don't crack as you won't be able to see once you overboard

the slc already has a few thin crack lines......is this not a good thing? as per man instructions the floorboards were primed with SBR....Would the flexi tile adhesive between the backer boards and SLC resolve this?

T

Good news, you should be OK, one tip, cut all your boards first and dry lay, leave a 5mm gap around the perimeter, also stagger the boards ( brick bond) leave 2mm/3mm gap between boards, take up one board at a time, glue and screw each board so the adhesive is still wet. Once you have glued and screwed all the boards. Tape all the joints with an alkali resistant tape, depending on the make of your boards, this will prevent cracking on the joints:thumbsup:

H

Hulloo

what would worry me is that the boards are flexing and the slc is cracking and becoming loose. it's not ideal but hard to judge without seeing it. you went the wrong way round with the slc and may be taking a chance tiling over it. it may be ok though, it's a hard one to call. do you have any pictures of the slc?

the boards will be screwed down at 20mm center so would that cause much flexing?

T

you think the slc will be ok on the floor boards phil? i won't argue with you . you got more experience than me :lol:

Sorry Mike, we keep overlapping posts. The slc I use is called Levelflex and is fibre enhanced (very flexible) I would have no problem using it over floor boards prior to over boarding, but the way you described it is the correct way. Just trying to save some time and effort.:thumbsup:

Reply to Putting down hardiebacker board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Putting down hardiebacker board
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.