Discuss Putting down hardiebacker board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Hulloo

Good news, you should be OK, one tip, cut all your boards first and dry lay, leave a 5mm gap around the perimeter, also stagger the boards ( brick bond) leave 2mm/3mm gap between boards, take up one board at a time, glue and screw each board so the adhesive is still wet. Once you have glued and screwed all the boards. Tape all the joints with an alkali resistant tape, depending on the make of your boards, this will prevent cracking on the joints:thumbsup:

Must i use flexi adhesive to secure the boards down seeing as the screws will be holding them in place. Reason i'm asking is i have the 1 back of flexi adhesive enough to cover the area of floor tiles require but have quite i bit of the non flexi wall/floor adhesive leftover......Just me being a cheapskate :)

G

grumpygrouter

Must i use flexi adhesive to secure the boards down seeing as the screws will be holding them in place. Reason i'm asking is i have the 1 back of flexi adhesive enough to cover the area of floor tiles require but have quite i bit of the non flexi wall/floor adhesive leftover......Just me being a cheapskate :)
I am going to go slightly out on a limb here and I am waiting for the "barrage" from the more experienced guys who post here.....

......the adhesive is used with hardie board as a void filler NOT as an adhesive to "stick" the boards down, that is what the screws are for. As such you may be fine to use not flexy adhesive. Indeed the hardie installation literature just states "adhesive" not flexy adhesive when fixing the boards, even on the timber floor fixing instructions.

J

jay

I am going to go slightly out on a limb here and I am waiting for the "barrage" from the more experienced guys who post here.....

......the adhesive is used with hardie board as a void filler NOT as an adhesive to "stick" the boards down, that is what the screws are for. As such you may be fine to use not flexy adhesive. Indeed the hardie installation literature just states "adhesive" not flexy adhesive when fixing the boards, even on the timber floor fixing instructions.

You are correct Grummpy the adh is just to fill hollows in the floorboards so the cement sheet is fully supported the screws hold it in place

R

Rich

About what mate?

I have just always assumed that the boards should be laid onto a bed of single part flexi adhesive but now you come to mention it I dont know where I got that from. If they just say "adhesive" or "rapid setting adhesive" I wonder if they are being vague for a reason or if they have a adhesive that they would recommend if you asked them?

G

grumpygrouter

Hardie just specify an adhesive bed laid with a 6mm trowel and it is just to fill voids. They also state that deflection should be less than Length/360 otherwise the tiles may crack because of deflection. It looks like No More Ply is a slightly different type of cement board to Hardie but ihave never seen it so I don't know. I remember No More Ply when first intorduced tried to say it was a straight replacement for 15mm ply and would strengthen floors as well but their marketing info now seems not to include that, just that it is a tile backerboard!! They make a great play on their Polyuerethane adhesive though....and I don't think it is cheap!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Putting down hardiebacker board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Putting down hardiebacker board
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.