Discuss Pythagoras theorem in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Ok, how would you actually apply this method in a tiling situation? I've never really had to because the largest floors I do are 50-100 m2 so just use my folding square. The reason I ask is because I was working with another tiler recently and he was giving it the big 3-4-5 rule so I asked him to show me, I quickly realised yes, he was well aware of the theory like myself but he had no idea how to put this in to practise.

T

Time's Ran Out

3x3 + 4x4 = 5x5
9 +16 = 25

The sum of the squares forming a right angle of a triangle are equal to the square on the 3rd side .

Using this in tiling is a basic requirement to get a 90 degree angle.
If you take 2 points on a line 4 feet apart, draw an arc 3 feet long above and from the left point, draw an arc 5 feet long from the right point and where they cross is the point that forms the right angle between the 4 & 3 feet lines - a right angled triangle 345.
You'd need a very large folding square to be as accurate on large jobs.
The other geometry that should be understood is how to bisect a line. Once you have your lines straight you can move them parallel to suit your set out.

C

charlie1

3x3 + 4x4 = 5x5
9 +16 = 25

The sum of the squares forming a right angle of a triangle are equal to the square on the 3rd side .

If you take 2 points on a line 4 feet apart, draw an arc 3 feet long above and from the left point, draw an arc 5 feet long from the right point and where they cross is the point that forms the right angle between the 4 & 3 feet lines - a right angled triangle 345.
The other geometry that should be understood is how to bisect a line. Once you have your lines straight you can move them parallel to suit your set out.

Thanks for that, finally understand. (Arcs) so you could use string anchored at one of the points and a pencil?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

3x3 + 4x4 = 5x5
9 +16 = 25

John once more you put things better than I do.:lol:

T

TJ Smiler

I'm sorry but i am still slightly confused. Maths is not my strong point! I can see the principle but not sure when to use it. Would you start with pinging a chalk line in the point of the room where you normally would then measure off this at the point where you need the tiles to lead into another room (for example). I would really love to get this mastered and i'm nearly there, i think :sofahide:

Thanks all

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Phil, I know this stuff is second nature to a few of you on here, I'm just trying to figure out the exact way you would put it in to practice, I understand now using arcs.

Mark if you are trying to get a 90 degree angle having found a centre line, then measure 3 ft/ 3m or 3 anything, you then measure 4 ft/4m along that line when you get 5ft/5m to intersect that is 90 degrees. Not the best explanation, but it is all I can do.

Reply to Pythagoras theorem in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB