Discuss Pythagoras theorem in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Mark if you are trying to get a 90 degree angle having found a centre line, then measure 3 ft/ 3m or 3 anything, you then measure 4 ft/4m along that line when you get 5ft/5m to intersect that is 90 degrees. Not the best explanation, but it is all I can do.

Thanks phil, I do understand, the only slightly cloudy bit now is how you would draw the arcs?, I'm thinking a tape measure with 2 small holes drilled 4 and 5 feet apart, one for anchoring with a small nail then the other for putting your pencil through.... Maybe I'm over engineering this lol

C

charlie1

The only reason I've never used 345 is because I had no idea how to actually pit it in to practice, every time I thought about it I just saw too much room for error, then I seen this guy doing fluffing about with a tape ... Now I see, staffs , pins and arcs... The perfect square and very easy. Yes, you could just use a laser but that's another piece of equipment you might not have. I'd trust a chalk line over a laser anyway, how accurate is a laser over 5 meters?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Once upon a time in an Indian village, there lived three squaws. Two squaws had young sons who were very overweight. The first squaw, whose son weighed 150 pounds, always placed her son on a bear hide near a pine grove; the second squaw, whose son also weighed 150 pounds, put her son on a moose hide in the shade of a large oak tree; but the third squaw, who was expecting the birth of her first son, always rested on a hippopotamus hide beside a bubbling brook. Her weight? 300 pounds! To this day, mathematicians give credit to these women and their children for proving the Pythagorean Theorem, because you see: The squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Once upon a time in an Indian village, there lived three squaws. Two squaws had young sons who were very overweight. The first squaw, whose son weighed 150 pounds, always placed her son on a bear hide near a pine grove; the second squaw, whose son also weighed 150 pounds, put her son on a moose hide in the shade of a large oak tree; but the third squaw, who was expecting the birth of her first son, always rested on a hippopotamus hide beside a bubbling brook. Her weight? 300 pounds! To this day, mathematicians give credit to these women and their children for proving the Pythagorean Theorem, because you see: The squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

I was tempted to put that one on Alan.:lol:

T

The D

3x3 + 4x4 = 5x5
9 +16 = 25

The sum of the squares forming a right angle of a triangle are equal to the square on the 3rd sid.

Using this in tiling is a basic requirement to get a 90 degree angle.
If you take 2 points on a line 4 feet apart, draw an arc 3 feet long above and from the left point, draw an arc 5 feet long from the right point and where they cross is the point that forms the right angle between the 4 & 3 feet lines - a right angled triangle 345.
You'd need a very large folding square to be as accurate on large jobs.
The other geometry that should be understood is how to bisect a line. Once you have your lines straight you can move them parallel to suit your set out.
i would say that is the post of the year :thumbsup:

Reply to Pythagoras theorem in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB