Discuss qualified tilers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Qualified to Level 2 and only took the qualification for my blue card. The course/exam was a pretty lame.
That's what annoys me about doing it, I know someone who did their NVQ2 in floor laying and on the practical never laid a thing, just told the examiner how he would do it! it makes the qualification worthless IMO. Need to do it for my CSCS card though which has just reminded me it runs out next month:mad2:

T

The D

T

The D

I started doing my 2, on site examination but, the assessor quit and was never replaced. I would like to gain as many qualifications as possible, just to prove my ability on paper. Having said that, a portfolio and recommendations are worth more than any certificate when doing domestic work IMO. Even NVQ's seem to be as easy to get as doing a weeks course now! How can that be possible?
If you have the relevant experience it is easy enough to get a level 2 you can do on site assessment or you can do a professional discussion . By proving you have been in the industry and discussing your work with the assessor it is possible to get the level 2 in just 3 meetings and that is not a bad thing IMHO. This dose not work for people that have no experience.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
No qualifications for tiling. Been tiling for 7.5 years now and only really do private work. Did my HNC in mechanical and structural engineering when first left school.

Think it would be good to gain qualifications but I'm getting to the stage now where I would find it difficult to motivate myself, and within next couple of years want to cut my workload down.

I worked with a qualified tiler for a couple of years and learnt a lot and the rest is self taught and info gained from the guys on here.

P

Pebbs

I have never asked for qualifications from any tiler, and there is are many reasons for this. We normally know after a few hours if they are up to standard or not. You can present all the papers you want, but that does not indicate you are a better tiler, than someone who has been doing it for years. If someone wants to take the exams and get the certificates thats their choice, and fair dues. The best tilers I have ever worked with are some of those who have difficulty in reading or writing, it will be a sad inditement of this trade when tilers and stonemasons, have to produce certificates, to gain employment. I totally understand that these basic skills course prepare would be tilers to entry level, however the best education imo is still out on the tools.

Pebbs

Reply to qualified tilers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
hi there, i was not sure if i should put this in find a tiler section as i was more hoping the...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
Hi This is my 1st post in the forum. I have been a tiler for 13 years. I have started my own...
Replies
Views
R
Afternoon all, We're still looking for tilers to join us at Richmond Ceramics, the work load...
Replies
Views
RichmondCeramic
R
Okay so I'm not going to link to or mention any specific threads going on but we see this quite...
Replies
Views
lawrenso
L

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB