Discuss Rats ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Anyone know about rats ? I am talking the vermin type not pets.

it seems that they have been seen around teh row of houses where I live. Now thinking sensibly , you would think that there will only be rats where there is something for them...ie, Food.

My neighbour has Rabbits and a Guinea pig and also a fish pond. Now I reckon the smell of pet food and the fact that she is throwing bread on her lawn for the birds is attracting them. She has agred to stop the bread throwing as she doesnt want rats either.

Now next to our houses is a large house that has been converted to flats and this is where I think the are coming from and using our back gardens to nest as its quieter.

Last year one of the neighbours called the council out and a man came and laid poison for them. It worked...well at least once as I found the dead rat feet up on my lawn. That was the last we saw of them until now. So looking up on the internet I see there are mixed views of how to get rid of them, ie , trap or poison ! My thoughts are to cut off the food supply bafore going crazy. One neighbour thinks he can shoot them with an air rifle !! i wonder if he is going to sit up all night waiting for them ?

Anyone else had this problem ? Its not nice to admit there are rats around your home.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Poison the bu**ers. You poinsoning one colony will not affect the overall population very much. Do you have Kids......think about Leptspirosis as well.

We had rats - It's nowt to be ashamed of - the council Pest Controller sorted them and touch wood we have not had a problem since.

Cutting off the food supply only works if this is overt, i.e. if you chuck out the remnants of sunday dinner for the "birds" and that sort of thing. Most rats live in sewers and near water courses. when there are floods or drouts they are forced out of their homes to forage elsewhere. once they have colonised the only realistic way to treat is to kill the blighters.

G

Gazzer

Poison the bu**ers. You poinsoning one colony will not affect the overall population very much. Do you have Kids......think about Leptspirosis as well.

We had rats - It's nowt to be ashamed of - the council Pest Controller sorted them and touch wood we have not had a problem since.

Cutting off the food supply only works if this is overt, i.e. if you chuck out the remnants of sunday dinner for the "birds" and that sort of thing. Most rats live in sewers and near water courses. when there are floods or drouts they are forced out of their homes to forage elsewhere. once they have colonised the only realistic way to treat is to kill the blighters.

Its getting a poison that they like the taste of. I have no issues in destroying them by any means !

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Its getting a poison that they like the taste of. I have no issues in destroying them by any means !

not something you will be able to do yourself generally. The poisons you can buy from the likes of hardware shops is generally not very effective. It has been around so long and is diluted so much that it does not do them much harm. Rats are very robust and adaptable....hence they have survived so well.....and if you have a colony nesting where they should not be nesting you will be best to get a registered pest controller involved.

Reply to Rats ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi. I`m trying to find Vermont Black slate effect ceramic tiles purchased from United Tile Ltd...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rats !
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.