Discuss Rats ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

has any one witnessed a young cat trying to kill a mature rat? my dad always tells me of how he saw this as a boy in Ireland, he said that it was one of the most amazing battles he has ever seen and it took the cat a bit of time to work out how to dispatch the rat and they fought for over 10 minutes but once it had killed its first rat the cat became a great rat killer and could kill them in seconds

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I have rats very near where I live but we (inc' the neighbours) have poison bait boxes along the path at the back of our gardens. My house is between the River Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal, the distance between the two is less than half a mile. I doubt we'll ever get rid of them but we as a small community (there's only 12 houses near me) seem to have it sorted so far. Bait boxes are the future neale lol Get on it lad. It takes the poison back to the nest which works well. Homebase sell DIY ones (apparently very near;ly as strong as council ones) but you can have three courses of council bit boxes for free, per property.

We wouldn't be so bothered as our dogs would sort 'em out if they managed to spot them, however when we try to feed the birds (we have nests in trees along with our own feeders) we tend to find traces of vermin and we'd hate to think we're encouraging them.

D

doit4u

We live next to open farmland and had a problem a few years ago with them pinching the peanuts the missus put out for the birds. Then they got bolder and started chewing their way into the garden shed to get to the bird seed and peanuts so war was declared.

Bought bait from a farmers store and that was very effective. Also bought the wife some galvanised dustbins for christmas to put the feed in. They will recolonise an area so periodically have to put more ont. If I find a hole in the garden I pour some down there and cover with an old paving slab to protect other animals.

Have also had them getting in the compast bin. They burrow up from the bottom which is open and just sits on the ground so if I find any evidence I put an old plastic lid on the top of the pile for their delectation. The bin has a lid so no problem for othe animals.

Reply to Rats ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi. I`m trying to find Vermont Black slate effect ceramic tiles purchased from United Tile Ltd...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rats !
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.