Discuss Rats ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Is rat poison poisonous to cats and other pets and animals? That would be the only thing that worries me :yikes: When I first lived in a rented cottage in Cornwall I was lying in the bath and suddenly there was this big thumping in the airing cupboard at the footend of the bath, the wodden door nearly opened, frightened the heck out of me, was pregnant at the time - turns out they were rats that got in the cupboard from the coal house adjacent to the bathroom. What attracted them? Bars of soap I put amongst the towels!! There were teethmarks all over the soap! Some bars half eaten!! mad... anyhow, the landlord told us to remove soap and not have any food out anywhere for them to even smell and they went away, so that seems to be the answer. In the countryside you can shoot them, seems kinder than slow death by poison, but not sure if that is allowed in a built up area?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Is rat poison poisonous to cats and other pets and animals? That would be the only thing that worries me :yikes: When I first lived in a rented cottage in Cornwall I was lying in the bath and suddenly there was this big thumping in the airing cupboard at the footend of the bath, the wodden door nearly opened, frightened the heck out of me, was pregnant at the time - turns out they were rats that got in the cupboard from the coal house adjacent to the bathroom. What attracted them? Bars of soap I put amongst the towels!! There were teethmarks all over the soap! Some bars half eaten!! mad... anyhow, the landlord told us to remove soap and not have any food out anywhere for them to even smell and they went away, so that seems to be the answer. In the countryside you can shoot them, seems kinder than slow death by poison, but not sure if that is allowed in a built up area?

Yes it is MG but if it done correctly then the rats take the poison from bait boxes which Cats cannot access. The poisons are generally based on anticoagulants. Warfarin was a popular one not long ago but I am not sure it is used so much these days cos the rats get used to it and quickly breed it into ineffectiveness. Shooting them is not an answer in my opinion........,guns of any sort should be banned from any but the most rigorously controlled activities

D

DHTiling

As for the poison, it does not just get placed on the ground in case other animals eat it, it goes in proper vermin containers that they have to enter and eat the poison and then leave and die probs under ground in their nesting areas..

If you suspect rats then a call to environmental health is the thing to do, NEVER airgun they in a built up area, you can be sure of where the back stop will be for the pellets and you risk injury to others.

G

Gazzer

That is very true.. Rats are everywhere.. in built up areas they tend to stay out of sight till night.. then they come out and play.:):):)

As long as they have not entered your property then do not worry...

Actually its not me thats bothered...although I dont like them being here. My other neighbour is a keen gardener and has had the most damage done. The only thing I have noticed is a hole under the fence and the chewed through a cctv cable.

W

White Room

You cannot shoot your airgun within 15 meters of a public highway if doing so would cause a nuisance or indanger the public. It is now also an offence if any projectile leaves the boundries of the land where you have permission to shoot.

If you have a cat, get him to do it

kitty%20sniper.jpg

D

DHTiling

Actually its not me thats bothered...although I dont like them being here. My other neighbour is a keen gardener and has had the most damage done. The only thing I have noticed is a hole under the fence and the chewed through a cctv cable.

Rats can eat through concrete Neale.. my inlaws farm has 1000's of rats as there is pigs in the out buildings, and rats luv pig food, should see the size of some of them..:lol:

As mentioned above rats breed like hell .. a baby rat is ready to have babies itself at 6 weeks old.. they do breed rapidly.. been shooting them for yrs,,:) and using smoking method and terriers..that really cuts the numbers down.

C

Ceramico tiling

Getting good poison is the hard part as often it is only supplied to professionals.However rats die easier than mice when poisoned so I would give the B and Q stuff a try.You can make your own bait box out of an ice cream container and and a few entrances with 40mm waste pipe.Secure it properly and leave it for a few weaks.Rats will not touch it untill it becomes part of their territory as they are quite smart.(or you could really move things about in that vacinity which would confuse them).I used to work for a grain store where rats lived in holes in the ground which i used to put poison down with a spoon on a pole.Maybe there are some holes about that you can find.

Reply to Rats ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi. I`m trying to find Vermont Black slate effect ceramic tiles purchased from United Tile Ltd...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rats !
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.