Discuss Re:- The lads and me have revolted! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

As many of you know there comes a time in a long term contract, when suddenly something hits the fan, and the main contractor then starts panicing because they are going to face that nasty thing called a penalty clause. Such is the case this week, when on Monday I was called onto site because the works are about 6 months behind programme now and the job has to be completed by the end of November. I dont fancy our chances, and this is the very same contract where we have had punch ups, floors being ripped up, walls being moved, and half the rooms are not still not ready for the marble.
The project manager (he of a punched face a few months ago) said he had been instructed to make me an offer I couldnt refuse, to get the lads to work lates and weekends. Today the offer came through, which when you take away the 7.5% discount they also want to snatch is little more than the minimum wage. At the end of the day, its nothing but an insult to anyone who has been slogging away all day to offer then a few measly quid, and try and sell it to them as something worth doing.
Punched face must have gone back to his bosses, and told them Id agreed to his fantastic offer(no way no how no can do!). Imagine his bosses surprise tonight to turn up on site to find it empty. I get a phone call after he'd searched the canteen for them only to find they had all gone home, he couldnt understand it! as he'd been informed that I was ok with their offer.... not so I said until this has been sorted out nothing will get laid after 4pm until further notice. He said "It sounds like I have a revolt on my hands here...."

Its official we've revolted!

Pebbs

Re: - The lads and me have revolted!

Stick to your guns mate, I have a mate that works in the steel fabrication business, he has a few rates when it comes to labour costs, normal time, double time and what he calls premium time, when someone rings up wanting a job done in silly time he just says that it will cost them at premium time, when asked what that is he replies, what ever I feel like charging, take it or leave it, a bit different to your predicament but not that far, you have the upper hand, you dictate to them how much you'll need to work overtime, if you want it that is, how the hell does a job get 6 months behind program, without the main contractor putting on more labour to make it up he has no chance.

What are your plans, are you gonna do the extra hours ?

M

mikethetile

stick to your guns Lynn

its always the same , seen it time and time again. not only are they in penalties but they have had the cream from the job and need to get results before they can draw again, if theres anything left to draw when you allow for retention

so its no extra labour, no switching contractors just instructions to get it finished or certain people wont be on the next job

slapped faces come uppance is nigh

it would be nice to think he will learn from this

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pebbs

I am standing my ground again today, we nearly had a uprising in the Pebble Power union when two fixers said they wouldnt mind working this weekend, however once they realised they would be no better of for doing this, they changed their mind. Simple fact is this, the client wants us to work overtime to get the job completed but basically doesnt want to pay more than £4.80 an hour after stoppages for us doing this. Doug pointed out a very good point in his post, about finishing trades, we are always the ones under the most pressure, without us the job doesnt get finished on time. We are at the mercy of all the trades that go and do their works before us and we take the brunt of it. I am contracted to carry out the works on this contract, and the works are to be carried out between 8am - 4pm, anything else outside that incurs out of hours premiums, to my mind £4.80 an hour is a kick in the face.

The revolt continues....

Pebbs

Reply to Re:- The lads and me have revolted! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Re:- The lads and me have revolted!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.