Discuss Re:- The lads and me have revolted! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

Re: - The lads and me have revolted!

it seems like they are offering time and a quarter which is a standard non productive overtime rate for the first extra 2 hours in a long shift, i would push for time and half and dinner money as by the time they get home they will miss their supper an extra £15 per evening plus time and half npo would probably sway my lads into doing the extra evening hours,weekends it would need to be time and half for the saturday and double time for sundays

P

Pebbs

High noon shoot out today, got called in to finally agree some kind of overtime payment for the lads. All they came up was another £2.00 an hour, so I dug my heels in, and told them, not to waste my time with this silly talk. I was gasping for a cuppa....(you know how it is all this talking and ranting, makes me thirsty). Then one of the lads informed me that on Friday the project manager had sent a driver down to collect the fridge, microwave and the kettle from the lads changing/eating room....on the grounds that someone had left the milk out. OK that does it! enough is enough! im on the phone tomorrow to the powers that be...how vile and spiteful can anyone man be?! Who the hell do some people think they are? Time for some come uppance.

Lynn

U

user123

High noon shoot out today, got called in to finally agree some kind of overtime payment for the lads. All they came up was another £2.00 an hour, so I dug my heels in, and told them, not to waste my time with this silly talk. I was gasping for a cuppa....(you know how it is all this talking and ranting, makes me thirsty). Then one of the lads informed me that on Friday the project manager had sent a driver down to collect the fridge, microwave and the kettle from the lads changing/eating room....on the grounds that someone had left the milk out. OK that does it! enough is enough! im on the phone tomorrow to the powers that be...how vile and spiteful can anyone man be?! Who the hell do some people think they are? Time for some come uppance.

Lynn

What??? Not exactly how to win friends and influence people, is it?!? :yikes: :thumbsdown: I will await the next episode, this is a different world...

D

Deleted member 9966

What are the laws in the UK regarding overtime pay?

being a human resources professional Rob, I can clearly say that I have never come across any laws concerning overtime pay. And with that, I would say it's every man for himself; negotiate what you can to reflect the level of work and professionalism that you're doing. The only significant law in the UK surrounding pay is the National Minimum Wage. So long as you're earnings do not fall below the NMW thresholds, the government are not interested.

In Pebbs case, the jokers she is subcontracting to are unwilling to pay the workers the required level of pay to get the job done to the standard originally set out in the contract when now is the time to be putting more money into the build to have it completed on time and to the highest standard.

It just smacks completely of the Fat Cat creaming off all the lovely creamy bits and leaving everyone else with the non fat milk and no choice about it.

R

Rob Z

being a human resources professional Rob, I can clearly say that I have never come across any laws concerning overtime pay. And with that, I would say it's every man for himself; negotiate what you can to reflect the level of work and professionalism that you're doing. The only significant law in the UK surrounding pay is the National Minimum Wage. So long as you're earnings do not fall below the NMW thresholds, the government are not interested.

In Pebbs case, the jokers she is subcontracting to are unwilling to pay the workers the required level of pay to get the job done to the standard originally set out in the contract when now is the time to be putting more money into the build to have it completed on time and to the highest standard.

It just smacks completely of the Fat Cat creaming off all the lovely creamy bits and leaving everyone else with the non fat milk and no choice about it.

That's interesting, Liz. We have a variety of Federal and state laws that govern OT. There's no way to get out of it (legally) for hourly workers.

R

Rob Z

Liz, here is a small amount of info about the Federal OT requirements. It's a minimum of "time-and-one-half" for more than 40 hours in a time period equal to one work week, although the states are allowed to require MORE (but not less) requirements than what the Feds require.

Some states require double time and more for certain OT duties. Some states require OT for more than 8 hours per day.

My state (Virginia) is quite reasonable in its requirements.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Overtime Pay

P

Pebbs

it seems like they are offering time and a quarter which is a standard non productive overtime rate for the first extra 2 hours in a long shift, i would push for time and half and dinner money as by the time they get home they will miss their supper an extra £15 per evening plus time and half npo would probably sway my lads into doing the extra evening hours,weekends it would need to be time and half for the saturday and double time for sundays

I took this gem of advice from Gary, as I believe we both work on the same kind of basis. Yesterday I put a call in to the powers that be, who surprise surprise wasnt aware of the 'situation' down on site. The senior project surveyor has just called, and is preparing the CVI now for the overtime and weekend works which have now been revised to what Gary had advised how he would go for it.

Also the fridge microwave and kettle are going to be back on site on Friday, I think someone has been given a whallop around the ear for that kind of stunt. I would like to see the project managers face on Monday morning when he returns from his holiday. He already hates me, but thats ok I can live with it, wait till he sees the day work and extra over sheets that got signed of on Tuesday, I think he will be throwing himself of the top of the building.

Lynn

Reply to Re:- The lads and me have revolted! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Re:- The lads and me have revolted!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.