Discuss Recent Job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

heres a photo of a tiling job after I took on in Israel. unfortunately the site was not ready , so we took off down the river nile !!!
or I should say up the river nile .big mistake .
the felucca sail boat had no wind to work with and we were marooned !!!!!!!on an island
spent the best part of a week on there in a stand off but ultimately you cant live on an island in the river nile
dancing to madness unless you have a plan .

thanks gary . there was a real problem with the stone . the supplier in oman packed it with string spacers and the wax or oil in the string marked the stone .long story short supplier got an idiot who gave it large about what he could do and made it worse. I ended going in and recified myself

228.JPG 232.JPG 227.JPG

J

jonnyc

Just done some of that limestone from Oman myself. Same size but thicknesses varied from 17 to 23 mm. The stone had string spacers as well but I didn't notice any stains on the stone. The original tiler had started with all the thin stone first though and no decoupling mat. It had cracked all through kitchen and conservatory within a couple of months so we had to rip out lay ditra and get the limestone thinned out at a quarry. Lovely stone though when it's down. Think it comes from ca pietra down south west way
interested to hear you have laid limestone from oman with similar string spacers . in principle I thought the spacing with string good idea but I think that when string got pinched the wax element came out and marked stone. I could not remove it with conventional stone cleaners , I wont get in to the palava of getting it off if you have not had problems but I was not concerned that stone varied between 17-23mm at all . it is a blessing for us as so called experienced stone fixers to get stone with that variance as it helps getting over dodgy screeds does it not !
all in all I think this limestone if we are talking about same is a very good material provided it has no honing marks that can only be seen even in high sunlight.

J

jonnyc

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Top notch work again Jonny as ever. Not being critical...... but the left hand turn going up the staircase not sure why the skirting painted white runs round the external corner and the white trim across the riser, not your decision I'm guessing it just stands out too much for me.

But your workmanship really is something to behold, I love looking at your work and the houses you work in. Top man Jonny!!

J

jonnyc

Top notch work again Jonny as ever. Not being critical...... but the left hand turn going up the staircase not sure why the skirting painted white runs round the external corner and the white trim across the riser, not your decision I'm guessing it just stands out too much for me.

But your workmanship really is something to behold, I love looking at your work and the houses you work in. Top man Jonny!!
John I'm off to bed but will look at your observations about skirting in morning . Good to bAck of sorts . I've had a real tough yEar

J

jonnyc

John
the timber doesn't look great across riser does it . I did nt notice what they'd done after we finished stone till you pointed it out. In fact that second stone staircase had to be fudged round with winders as originally set out for timber .

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
John
the timber doesn't look great across riser does it . I did nt notice what they'd done after we finished stone till you pointed it out. In fact that second stone staircase had to be fudged round with winders as originally set out for timber .

I think I would have either replaced the skirting with a stone upstand or painted the skirting and wood across the riser the same colour as the stone to make it 'disappear'

You may lose the symmetry with the r/h/s skirting but I still think it would look better than it standing out like it does now

I

Italy

I think I would have either replaced the skirting with a stone upstand or painted the skirting and wood across the riser the same colour as the stone to make it 'disappear'

You may lose the symmetry with the r/h/s skirting but I still think it would look better than it standing out like it does now
It is actually the thing I noticed right away.
Thought in uk is normal.
But no.
in any case great work

J

jonnyc

On left side it would look right with all stone skirting but then not be in keeping with wood skirting around rest of landing.

J

jonnyc

Different thicknesses not a problem but the guy who started the job used all the thin ones and then we had to try and patch up with thick tiles and he only had abut 2-3 mm bed of adhesive under them. There were a few with honing marks on them,mainly along the short edge of them for about 4 inches.nice heavy tiles though definitely a 2 man job
Ok I understand now . Really nice stone . Did yours come from artisans or somewhere else

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
On left side it would look right with all stone skirting but then not be in keeping with wood skirting around rest of landing.

That was my thought but maybe keep the white skirting on the left but paint the white on the riser, to me it just looks like it spoils the fantastic work you have done and looks like it's just stuck on to fill a gap

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Just done some of that limestone from Oman myself. Same size but thicknesses varied from 17 to 23 mm. The stone had string spacers as well but I didn't notice any stains on the stone. The original tiler had started with all the thin stone first though and no decoupling mat. It had cracked all through kitchen and conservatory within a couple of months so we had to rip out lay ditra and get the limestone thinned out at a quarry. Lovely stone though when it's down. Think it comes from ca pietra down south west way

@wayne Just found out this week that Tiles and Mosaics are now supplying Ca Pietra, if you ever need it

Reply to Recent Job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB