Discuss Remove plinths for tiling a floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
remove plinths....100%... its a bodge and cowboyish to see a groutjoint next to plinths... apply yourself, its not hard..think of the recommends not the immediate money, we offer a service.. the tiler who doesn't take out an existing w.c and basin to tile underneath, replumb and re install, isn't offering the full service, however you wanna look at it.... that's why recessions are good, they sort out the tradesmnen from the cowboy chancers... this job isn't textbook, I do this, and not that.. its I can sort this out as I want to, for their sake and mine longterm, think about it.... the longterm survivors and people not short of work ever, think like this.. if not carry on.. keep seeking new business.. make it harder longterm for yourself.. its a plinth.. its a door.. think of the bigger picture !

So after 25 years am doin it wrong? no I have learnt from past mistakes,i price for tiling end of,am a tiler not a cowboy I do tiling not plumbing not joinery etc . Its a plinth Its a door? its not tiling I don't see the point.

ohhhh come on!!!!! cutting down some kickerboards is hardly being a handyman or odd jobber. It's something you should be able to do in the course of your daily work.

Can you imagine a plumber coming along and going "sorry madam I can't lift your floorboards to run your new pipework, you'll have to get a chippy in to do that"
i was trained as a wall and floor tiler ,been doing the job now for 43years,it says tiler on the tin and that is what i do ,not saying i cant do it,i choose not to do it and explain why,i can be making money fixing tiles which is where i make my money in my eyes a plumber should be a plumber ,not a scaffolder,and as i said in the long run the customer ends up paying more in the long run

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I should imagine most tillers on this site could trim doors, plinths, remove toilets, basins etc, and would do it in there own homes, however when doing it for a customer then that's a different kettle of fish, first off are you insured to undertake such work, if you remove a toilet and it leaks afterwords, it will be you they will be ringing to sort it and repaire any damage, I once plained a door off for a customer and all I got was grieve apparently the 4mm gap caused a force ten hurricane to come under the door, inside kitchen door as well, not even an outside door, and she insisted I paid for a new door, since then I stick to tiling.....its a lot less hassle.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Yeah, course they can. If they went on, they'll come off :)

Lol.

Original post suggested he couldn't get them off.

4 pages over "to remove or not remove"

I can and do trim plinths, doors, fit threshold bars, remove basins, toilets, and anything else I need to to do my job and provide the best finish for my customer.

But if you can't get a plinth of you can't get it off! Agreed give your customer an option but make them aware it may damage on removal.
However, if they're happy to have it tiled upto, do so. Leave an expansion gap and fill with a silcone bead, not grout. Simple

I

Ian

Plinths remove ?

some tilers Should be ashamed of themselves. So you don’t fit backer board or SLC or patch walls or cut architrave or fit UFH or install tanking. When you have a floor that needs strengthening how do you cope if you cant even cut a plinth. I have heard some rubbish spouted in my time but this is just pathetic.

All of this you have mentioned above is completely different to trimming doors and plinths. For me it's all about the tools to do the job, I don't have a planer to do doors and, more to the point, I've never been shown how to do one professionally. Maybe one day I'll get a joiner to show me how to do it and get the best tool for the job, until then, I'll leave it to the people who know how.

C

Colour Republic

All of this you have mentioned above is completely different to trimming doors and plinths. For me it's all about the tools to do the job, I don't have a planer to do doors and, more to the point, I've never been shown how to do one professionally. Maybe one day I'll get a joiner to show me how to do it and get the best tool for the job, until then, I'll leave it to the people who know how.

No special tools NEEDED, yes you can spend a fortune on plunge saws, planers, jigsaws but only if you were doing tons of them each weeks. If not here is what you'll need to successfully trim plinths and doors...:thumbsup:

pencil37.png

SpiritLevel_6999.jpg

Stanley_tape_measure.jpg

54597.jpg

C

Colour Republic

what about the cheap council doors colour? cheers

skip them, then tell them to get a joiner in to hang a new one :lol:

It's just the same Tea Bag, there should be enough rail to trim the bottom of the door down by 5, 10, 20mm. If there isn't because it's been hung in correctly and you can't repostion the rail then by all means pass it up and tell them it's not something you can do. But that is on the rare ocassion, so no need to turn down the other 99 times it isn't an issue.

I wouldn't expect tilers to start re-hanging doors, ffitting kicthens, plastering whole rooms but the very basic jobs shouldn't be any issue at all.

All you're doing is making life harder for your customers by telling them to get all these extra trades in to do tiny jobs which they will charge a premium for as it takes longer to drive to the job than it actually takes to do it.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Plinths remove ?

To be fair any tradesman worth his salt should be able to turn his hand to most other EASY aspects of any trade.
And if any tiler on here say they have never removed a loo or sink, i put it to you that you are lying sirs .
Some folk on here go on about multi trading and 'only tilers should tile blah de blah, ever tiler should be able to screed the floor with his feet tile it in geos while sucking a egg and sticking his finger up his ***"
It honestly gets tiresome, i have never seen written so much tosh since my english gcse paper ! :)

Reply to Remove plinths for tiling a floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have to lift a section of floor in the kitchen and would like to replace with the...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB