Discuss Roman/Modern mosaic, what's the difference? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

From time to time I do see mosaics sold in shops marked as 'Roman' when this is incorrect. So I thought, if you're interested I'd explain why there is a difference and just give you one example for you to quickly tell if a copy is accurate, (pauses whilst gets behind lecturn, shuffles papers, coughs then...)

The Romans made their mosaics so nothing would stand out, ie the mosaic would 'flow', there would be no areas to distract the eye. To this end they used a set of rules (sometimes refered to as Andamento), about 9 in number, 3 very specific, 6 more general ones.

Look at any Roman mosaic of a figure and you will see a line of tiles (tesserae) in the same colour as the border (generally white) around the figure. Every single mosaic figure from anywhere in the Roman Empire should have this border. A flower should also have this border and you will see it in geometric mosaics too. To illustrate, image a mosaic floor, in white with just one black triangle in the centre. The background tesserae are set in horizontal lines, there should be a single line of the white tesserae around the black triangle. Inside the triangle the black outline should be created by a line of black tesserae, the space left inside is then filled with horizontal lines of black. 2 borderlines in use, without these it is incorrect.

Have a look for this borderline in original Roman mosaics and if you see any copies being sold in shops or online look for this, if it's not there it's not Roman.

Ok waffle over, this was just a quick piece, if you want to know more just get in touch.

Reply to Roman/Modern mosaic, what's the difference? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Having read part of the nightmare mosaic thread (and I concur with the comments, shocking) I was...
Replies
Views
K
Hi, I'm having my ensuite refurbished with ceramic wall tiles laid in a brick effect with a...
Replies
Views
David - Tradetiler
D
T
I am having problems grouting a mosaic in a bathroom. It is one of those ceramic tiles that...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
T
Can anyone enlighten me on this? am going to be tiling a mosaic strip up the centre of a shower...
Replies
Views
TJ Smiler
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom

Thread Information

Title
Roman/Modern mosaic, what's the difference?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.