Discuss Schluter Ditra - filling square "dovetail" cavities in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Morning all!

Had one of those middle of the night brainwaves last night that has got me thinking. When installing Ditra I usually back fill the square dovetail cavities with adhesive as I am laying the tiles. I have tried the technique of some by skimming the whole area beforehand, letting this set and then tiling.

I got thinking about this and wondered about the use of a flexible SLC such as Mapei Ultraplan renovation screed in place of adhesive (purely in the cavities)?

The instant issue I can see with this is that there will be a natural weakness joint in materials between the SLC and adhesive bed which could debond under stress, but then again some fixers that backfill first then go on to work on that area for a few days which surely would weaken the bond between the adhesive layers much the same as if using SLC?

Thoughts anyone, and what techniques do you use?

Geoff

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Schluter Ditra - filling square "dovetail" cavities in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have been browsing these forums for a while and have picked up lot of useful advice. There...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
O
    • Informative
    • Useful
So Gary and I have come down to Hastings to inspect a large Porcel-thin floor that is failing...
2 3 4 5 6 7
Replies
Views
J
I went to a schluter demo at CTD Colchester on Tuesday afternoon, was looking forward to it and...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
J
Hi, We have a 55 square metre kitchen that we want to tile with 80cm x 50cm limestone tiles...
Replies
Views
SJPurdy
S
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB