Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Silicone Done Badly in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SJPurdy

Going over already set silicone again to raise the surface may not be the best thing as new silicone doesn't always stick that well to old and feathering out the edges of the patch may be difficult to get good appearance.
Likewise going over fresh silicone that has been wet tooled will not give a good bond.
Prior to siliconeing the surfaces must be clean and dry which alcohol (ethanol) can help with in some circumstances, but I am not sure if it will help new and old silicones bond.

As stated do not use spit to wet tools as it contains rubbish that will encourage mold growth. Use clean water with/without a bit of eg. washing up liquid - or as recommended by the sealant manufacturer. As stated some will recommend spraying the tooling water over the fresh bead of sealant but I have always found just dipping the tool into a pot of it before using is sufficient.

F

Floor restoration

Hi all,

Just a diy'er with...Silicone advice this time if I may beg.

I have done my fair share of siliconing in the past, but never really had to pay much attention to the finer points. Now I have come to seal my newly tiled bathroom I think I have made a catalog of mistakes. Let me list them so we can get the chuckling out the way early doors :/

- used saliva and finger to glide over joints.

- think I haven't put enough on in some areas. On some of the cut edges of ceramic tiles I can feel the lip from sealant to tile top.

Actually that's it. But I guess two very bad things, no?

My worry is primarily that water might seep into the tile...and mould, though I did use good silicone (Mapei).

Should I be looking to dig it all out and start again? Or go over the top and hope for the best? Or chop back so it's level with the tiles, clean and put new beads on top?

Thanks in advance
Sealant tools in london do wooden sticks for silicone great finish

Reply to Silicone Done Badly in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello All For good or bad (probably bad as its not a common choice) we're planning to tile...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Silicone Done Badly
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Canada Tile Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond