UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Silicone smoothing sets... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

you have to make sure that there is at least a 2mm gap and fill it fully with full contact to the two edges of the joint.then get a spray bottle with detergent in it and lightly spray the silicone joint .always best to use too much silicone than too little then use something like what i posted earlier. once you get the hang of it its dead easy and you can get around a room in about 30 mins. when you're done picking up the excess silicone is easy, because its already got a barrier on it from the spray and spray a bit on your fingers you can pick it up without any mess on you fingers. mission accomplished. its the best part of the job because once you are done thats it and the silicone looks mint as:hurray::8:

do you not think it's a better finish with a smoothing tool than a finger?

no i dont use my finger, i use a smoothing tool, the one i have put a photo up of with one of my earlier posts on this thread. i wouldnt want my fingers in to some of the acid based silicones.usually wear gloves anyway.if you spray your fingers before picking up the excess its just less mess to clean up.

R

Rich

do you not think it's a better finish with a smoothing tool than a finger?

I used to use my finger before I bought a couple of these sets and I would say that the tools give a much better finish and seal then using your finger. The peeps that make the tools say that they give a better seal (there again they would) because there is no liquid used so no risk of getting liquid between the silicone and the wall/floor. And as said before the finish looks very professional and you can offer a range of profiles (I have the 5 set kit) to complement the room and tiles.

My process goes like this;

• Cut out all the internal angles when the grout is just starting to harden
  • Come back when the grout is totally set and Hoover all the joints out
  • Wipe all the areas that are to be silicone with meths on a clean rag and make sure that it is dry
  • Gun in and swipe the vertical joints (you need a lot of paper towel and a lot of silicone)
  • Then go back round the room to do the horizontal joints (this makes it easier to get the right look and seal on the 3 ways)
I wouldn't say that it was any quicker than using the finger but I think that it gives the perfect finishing touch to a tiled room.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Silicone smoothing sets... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
New to the forum – excellent information! We have a large floor area tiled in a holiday home in...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Silicone smoothing sets...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.