Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Slate floor price? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CDS

No offense intended to anyone - However I thought the detail given was sufficient to get a 'guide' on price. If that wasn't the case then why not ask? If someone had actually asked for more details on specific spec then I could have happily obliged - Didn't want to put my price in Alan as I felt it wasn't right - then I get 'ooh way too high' or 'far too low' responses which isn't actually helping me that much. Generally wasn't sure how to price for a reasonable sized floor in unfinished slate as I've only done small bathroom floors and a galley kitchen in said material. Rav was the only one who gave any indication on price (for which I'm grateful) hence my response. Is that really so unreasonable gents?? Cheers to all Chris.

R

Rav daniels

Think you guys are bang out of order, the guy is a pro Tiler and a member of the tilers forums arms, he asks a pricing question in a pricing forum and gets a verbal, his spec was reasonable and if u look in lots of past posts they are the same if not less detailed, and there are plenty past posts where no figure was supplied by the person asking for a bit of help, and figure was supplied no probs( see slate price question by tedley34 about 20 posts ago)

This kind of response will lead to tilers of all experiance, not wanting to post a question for fear of sounding silly or being put down,
I try and help out If and when I can, because in truth if it wasn't for this site and the help I have recived when asking questions, I wouldn't be tiling to the standard I do now, I know this is a forum and each of us are entiled to our opinions, so here is mine if you can't be helpful, postive and decent don't be anything at all, Right rant over,
It is with replys like the ones CDs has recived

Last edited by a moderator:
surrey
a honest price would be £52.00 for uncal slate, as there is a more work , sort out the size difference 1st , i would recommend to seal before you start which means they need to be cleaned, check the tiles as they can split apart- adhesive cost are higher than normal and i would allow 7-10 bags , addy choice is important and thick bed addy is required .
i hope its sound advice and helpful as i been laying slate for years

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Price for a 16m.sq floor in unfinished / uncalibrated slate - probably going to be a 4 tile pattern?

Need to lift existing tiles, level floor (solid) and seal. Price including all materials will be gratefully received as mine looks way too high at the moment!

Moneys not really a problem for the cm but doing work on 2 bathrooms for them already so don't want to overcharge! Ta very much. Chris

Hiya chris,when you say you are supplying the materials does that include the slate or is that separate?

To be honest lifting the tiles and levelling the floor can be a major job alone,as you wont know what you have to deal with until you lift the original floor,so can put a few quid on the job straight away,maybe you should price that at a day rate ,if you think it will take you a day price for two(just in case).

As for the rest of the job i would price it the rate you normally charge for slate(prices vary depending on where you are,where am based we are lucky if we get £35 m2 labour only).

If it was my job i would charge my m2 rate for the tiling then add a few days dayrate for prep, sealing and any surprises that may occur.

Not an actual price i know but hope it helps :thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

a honest price would be £52.00 for uncal slate, as there is a more work , sort out the size difference 1st , i would recommend to seal before you start which means they need to be cleaned, check the tiles as they can split apart- adhesive cost are higher than normal and i would allow 7-10 bags , addy choice is important and thick bed addy is required .
i hope its sound advice and helpful as i been laying slate for years

That sound about right to me:thumbsup:

C

CDS

Think you guys are bang out of order, the guy is a pro Tiler and a member of the tilers forums arms, he asks a pricing question in a pricing forum and gets a verbal, his spec was reasonable and if u look in lots of past posts they are the same if not less detailed, and there are plenty past posts where no figure was supplied by the person asking for a bit of help, and figure was supplied no probs( see slate price question by tedley34 about 20 posts ago)

This kind of response will lead to tilers of all experiance, not wanting to post a question for fear of sounding silly or being put down,
I try and help out If and when I can, because in truth if it wasn't for this site and the help I have recived when asking questions, I wouldn't be tiling to the standard I do now, I know this is a forum and each of us are entiled to our opinions, so here is mine if you can't be helpful, postive and decent don't be anything at all, Right rant over,
It is with replys like the ones CDs has recived

Been in Turkey for 2 weeks and just home and catching up hence delay in adding any response.

Thank you Rav for the above post - Appreciate your comments and support. Also thanks for the PM from Scottley and subsequent 'sensible' posts from other members.

For Info - Having completed two of the bathrooms already I submitted a price at £55 per m.sq plus materials and 3 days labour for all the prep... Jobs been accepted and diaried along with the acceptances for the kitchen splashbacks, downstairs WC and ensuite in the second bedroom:lol:

Cheers Chris

B

bootsmckiber

Good one TJ,you forgot the temp secratary to write out the invoice,but yeah I think buddy is looking for someone to do his bidding for him,but I'll give him this,over here I charge 2 dollars more per square foot when laying natural stone(slate ,travertine)so say I'm charging $4 per sq ft for ceramic and porcelain,then I'm charging $6 per sq ft for slate,hypethetically,sorry Dave and Dan if I wasn't supposed to write that on this blog,if I need to be corrected please e-mail me,thanks,Mike

R

Rav daniels

Good one TJ,you forgot the temp secratary to write out the invoice,but yeah I think buddy is looking for someone to do his bidding for him,but I'll give him this,over here I charge 2 dollars more per square foot when laying natural stone(slate ,travertine)so say I'm charging $4 per sq ft for ceramic and porcelain,then I'm charging $6 per sq ft for slate,hypethetically,sorry Dave and Dan if I wasn't supposed to write that on this blog,if I need to be corrected please e-mail me,thanks,Mike

<Abuse removed>

Reply to Slate floor price? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone, first post from a virgin tiler. I am due to start tiling the bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
hello from a new member : ) hope to listen and learn much from you all. I have a slate tile laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Slate floor price?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.