Discuss SLC Methods in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter

What method do you all use for self levelling and how many hits do you do on a bad floor?

Wouldn't be my strongest suit so interested to hear. Usually just trowel out and pull a straight edge over and fill in the dips as I go along. Hard to get a good result in one hit though. Forming skids/runners seems like a good system but looks like it'd use 3 times the SLC.

Do you find that some compounds are better than others or is it all in the technique?

A

Aston

here you pete
a video says more than text...they are using a pin leveller to gauge the depth and a spatula to flatten off and take off the surface tension...

theres a few different methods i use depending on the area and obstructions....its very difficult to actually level with slc unless you use preset runners but this vid is a good example of how many of the lads i've worked with go about doing it.

[video=youtube;o2Z6vWP1fPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z6vWP1fPI[/video]

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

here you pete
a video says more than text...they are using a pin leveller to gauge the depth and a spatula to flatten off and take off the surface tension...

theres a few different methods i use depending on the area and obstructions....its very difficult to actually level with slc unless you use preset runners but this vid is a good example of how many of the lads i've worked with go about doing it.

[video=youtube;o2Z6vWP1fPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z6vWP1fPI[/video]

I use a pin-leveler & spiks with my ronacrete floors ED , i like the look of the spatular on the pole mate !, though it my be to early for ronacrete ! it needs to tighten -up a bit then i trowel it ! :thumbsup: thanks for the film Ed:hurray:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

This is one way I lay slc, I have put it on before, but it works for me. Just to make clear to any new guys, Screeding (sand & cement) is a totally different skill to laying slc. This is one of many ways to get slc down.

sl1.jpg sl2.jpg sl3.jpg sl4.jpg sl5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

hi mate
i dont think screeding is an art. theres a few techniques that require a bit of practice but any tiler worth their salt could pick up screeding with a bit of practice. i put a video up once from csc screeding that demonstates screeding really well. i'll see if i can find it.

here it is....just follow what this guy does and you wont go wrong.
you can even see the expansion foam strips around the perimeter. all as you need to do is exchange that tripod and pump for your wheel barrow ;0)

[video=youtube;HsaL2LVIbA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsaL2LVIbA4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Follows the floor guys ,that is all it can do, I tried the spiked roller, absolute waste of space imo, I could have got the floor flatter if I had subbed it out to Stevie Wonder just mho, there is only one way to slc a floor and get it flat, and I've already demonstrated it other than that you are chasing humps and bumps until the cows come home. A sand & cement screed or a pumped Anhydrite will give you a flat floor.

Sorry if I seem a bit grumpy, just been reading some dumb peeps posts.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to SLC Methods in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm tiling my 12m^2 conservatory - Concrete base, Self levelled, 20mm Jackoboards, Prowarm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I bought some sheets of 6mm insulation board to install on my bathroom floor. (It has blue...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Useful
So Gary and I have come down to Hastings to inspect a large Porcel-thin floor that is failing...
2 3 4 5 6 7
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB