Discuss Slc, What's Your Preferred Brand? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

StevieBoy

How do you level a floor then...? Mr blobby .....lol

(Joke) before you go off on one...surely not every floor you do is spot on...

That's ok - none taken lol.

No they are not, but they are when I've tiled them.

Yes Mr Blobby works well for me if done correctly, especially when you get floors like this one. High in the middle, then floor runs away as you go across.

It takes a while to master this technique though, not easy. But as long as you put enough addy down, whack the tile in place with the old rubber mallet and end up with full coverage underneath that's all that matters.

Some jobs, or should I say most can't be delayed waiting for self levelling to dry.

This floor has been down for 3 years now - and still all ok.

I know this, as its my neighbours kitchen floor.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
That's ok - none taken lol.

No they are not, but they are when I've tiled them.

Yes Mr Blobby works well for me if done correctly, especially when you get floors like this one. High in the middle, then floor runs away as you go across.

It takes a while to master this technique though, not easy. But as long as you put enough addy down, whack the tile in place with the old rubber mallet and end up with full coverage underneath that's all that matters.

Some jobs, or should I say most can't be delayed waiting for self levelling to dry.

This floor has been down for 3 years now - and still all ok.

I know this, as its my neighbours kitchen floor.

View attachment 78283 View attachment 78284 View attachment 78285
You are Mr blobby. .Lol
Can't see how you get full coverage in picture no. 2 looks like a dogs took loads of poo's on the floor..lol

S

StevieBoy

You are Mr blobby. .Lol
Can't see how you get full coverage in picture no. 2 looks like a dogs took loads of poo's on the floor..lol

I prefer the term "cow pats"

That picture was actually taken right at the moment when my addy bucket ran out, so while I was in between, thought I'd take some pics to show the builder how bad the floor actually was - believe me, more addy went in than what's on that pic, so when the tile went down, I would say at least 90% of the tile was covered.

S

StevieBoy

You are Mr blobby. .Lol

Here you go Andy, is this all right for you? :p

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tiled in 3 hrs in lovely slow set adhesive, as I never use rapid as you know.

Incidentally that would have proved fatal, as I had to slightly adjust the position of some of them after each row progressed, which you would never have done with rapid set.
Just got to grout up on Monday.
So there you go.

As I said earlier, you can self level if you like ;)

image.jpeg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester

View attachment 78583 View attachment 78584 View attachment 78585 View attachment 78586 View attachment 78587

Incidentally that would have proved fatal, as I had to slightly adjust the position of some of them after each row progressed, which you would never have done with rapid set.
So there you go.

View attachment 78581
I'll stick to leveling the floor and rapid set.
Lot less hassle imo. ..

S

StevieBoy

The hassle. ..lol having to set every tile with a rubber mallet!!!
Then go back and grout the next day!!!
Like you said each to there own.
what adhesive do you use?

Lol, why is it a hassle to set each tile with a few taps of the mallet????? :rolleyes:

I use the one I use all the time. Topps slow set white, which is Palace.

Do you go to work on a pushbike or summat? :D

Your always moaning on about going back the next day to grout. So what??

I have got to grout the shower cubicle anyway, which again was done with slow set, and prep the bathroom etc, so will still be a 7 hr day which is enough for me.

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
Lol, why is it a hassle to set each tile with a few taps of the mallet????? :rolleyes:

I use the one I use all the time. Topps slow set white, which is Palace.

Do you go to work on a pushbike or summat? :D

Your always moaning on about going back the next day to grout. So what??

I have got to grout the shower cubicle anyway, which again was done with slow set, and prep the bathroom etc, so wil still be a 7 hr day which is enough for me.
Do you use a lot more adhesive @steveboy using your cowpat way? I guess savings on slc offset it though.

O

On one

View attachment 78583 View attachment 78584 View attachment 78585 View attachment 78586 View attachment 78587

So there you go.

View attachment 78581
Is your adhesive manufacturer happy for you use their tile adhesive up to that depth?

S

StevieBoy

Dose it take longer to go off at that depth @steveboy

Oh yes, definately.

I tiled it today, but no-one will be going on it until Monday.

Even then, I'll check it and if not dried I'll give it another day etc.

Joking aside, and I have been having a bit of a laugh here, but with these tiles they have like a fake grout joint running through the centre.
Now, I set them using 2.5mm spacers which was fine on the first row, but on the second row to get the fake joints lined up was fine, but one or two tiles were actually smaller in size, so needed tweaking to position as best as poss.

With rapid set, you wouldn't be able to have done this as by the time you'd laid the first row, gone back started the second you wouldn't have been able to move any in the previous row.
So yes, I always use slow set on floors no matter what anyone else says.

Reply to Slc, What's Your Preferred Brand? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

B
Hi all. I have 40sqm of floor to pour slc over. Half is concrete and half is 25mm plywood over...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all. First time poster here so thanks in advance for any help you can give and apologies if...
Replies
Views
M
I need some new trowels and was wondering what brand trowels people thinks the best. I know it's...
Replies
Views
steve-tiler
S
J
Mapei Ultraplan Renovation Screed is quite new to me, but what primer sticks to IT... - Mapei...
Replies
Views
julian2000
J
A
I am tiling the following floors in my house renovation and was wondering what the views are on...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB