Discuss Slc, What's Your Preferred Brand? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

StevieBoy

How can you guarantee your work when you exceed the manufacturer recommended thickness of adhesive?

Right ok, so another change of topic then - no probs.

With this addy, I have done loads, and I mean loads of jobs this way - but for sure no more than 20mm in depth, and never had any issues whatso ever.

If that was the case, I'd lay some off cuts in first. Or use some cheap B & Q tiles etc.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
So far I've stopped myself getting into this with you but the fact is the way you lay floor tiles is wrong...
The recommended way is to lay a rib of adhesive using a notched trowel and fixing the tile using a twisting motion back buttering the tile will unsure an even better bond, any uneven floors should be leveled using a suitable slc so the recommended thickness is adhered too.
Any adhesive manafactures pdf will say exactly that and if you can show me one that recommends packing b&q tiles under them to build up the floor or blobbing down cow pats of adhesive to lay tiles then I would love to see it..

S

StevieBoy

So far I've stopped myself getting into this with you but the fact is the way you lay floor tiles is wrong...
The recommended way is to lay a rib of adhesive using a notched trowel and fixing the tile using a twisting motion back buttering the tile will unsure an even better bond, any uneven floors should be leveled using a suitable slc so the recommended thickness is adhered too.
Any adhesive manafactures pdf will say exactly that and if you can show me one that recommends packing b&q tiles under them to build up the floor or blobbing down cow pats of adhesive to lay tiles then I would love to see it..

Lol oh deary, deary me.

I must have been laying all the tiles I've laid in my time all wrong then.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have snooker table type walls and floors to lay on etc and do text book tiling lol.

I'm not a text book tiler, the method I use works for me, as it did for the guy that taught me the trade for nearly 30 years yawn yawn.

You can't argue with the pictures I have provided, all tiles are laid on a solid bed of adhesive, just thicker than the norm.

Let's just leave it at that now as I'm getting bored.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Tile master level 3,around 24m2, 12 bags, mixed and laid within a hour , walked on within another 30mins, I know that cos I left my van keys on the fire place and had to wait till 6.30 to leave :(
image.jpg
Tilemasterlevel 30
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Q

Qwerty

There will clearly be no agreement on this matter.

If you have indeed been laying tiles this way since you started tiling, then yes, you have been doing it wrong all this time. This is according to British Standards and guidelines set by the TTA and every adhesive manufacturer I have ever known as well as every tiler I know.

But, on the other hand, if it works for you and you are happy with this method, then no heated words exchanged on the forum will change that. If you are happy to stand by your fixing methods and happy that it is time effective, cost effective, will not fail and that the adhesive manufacturer you use would approve of said fixing method then don't let any man on here tell you otherwise. After all, it's your customers, your tiling & your business.

We are merely stating facts and how we do it, how we were taught to do it and how the adhesive companies expect us to do it.......personally if I ever caught any tilers laying off cuts or cheap tiles underneath to level a floor I would pack their tools up there and then and wave them goodbye.

W

White Room

S

StevieBoy

There will clearly be no agreement on this matter.

..........But, on the other hand, if it works for you and you are happy with this method, then no heated words exchanged on the forum will change that. If you are happy to stand by your fixing methods and happy that it is time effective, cost effective, will not fail and that the adhesive manufacturer you use would approve of said fixing method then don't let any man on here tell you otherwise. After all, it's your customers, your tiling & your business.

Thanks for that.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Liverpool
Ps I'd used Webber the day before, good stuff, but no where near as good as this stuff, flows like a pint down my neck on a Friday tea time :beercheers::beercheers::beercheers:
Does flow lovely the Tilesmaster 30, as good as levelflex is, this flows far better imo. Also agree we above statements re Ultra, brilliant gear. Also like to add I'd rather level a floor any day than pack tiles up as shown in pictures. Obviously it's necessary sometimes but I'd much rather tile to a smooth flat subfloor.

S

StevieBoy

Does flow lovely the Tilesmaster 30, as good as levelflex is, this flows far better imo. Also agree we above statements re Ultra, brilliant gear. Also like to add I'd rather level a floor any day than pack tiles up as shown in pictures. Obviously it's necessary sometimes but I'd much rather tile to a smooth flat subfloor.
Wouldn't we all, as we would with walls.

It'd make life a lot easier if all walls and floors were completely flat and level I agree.

But it adds to the joy of the job when not I suppose lol.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Alaska
This thread puts me in mind of the Americans with their 'mud' fixing.
No doubt us Americans use some thin sets at the top of their range. Many manufactures make thinset that allows you to go up to 3/4 of an inch, and many designers and builders feel that it is cheaper for us to set tile that way instead of giving us a proper floor, or paying for us to make it proper. I like Mapei or custom building products for slc, but as american as I am, some of the floors pictured in this thread and the methods to set/fix the tile are scary. If it works for you, cheers, but there are better ways. Some of you guys do beautiful work, some of you have been laying the same turd for many years.. Thanks for allowing me to participate, no offense meant by my words.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
@Wishiwasatoptiler
It went from around 30mm to 1mm in places , when I put the laser round it ran about 50mm out from the corner where no slc is, which was the high spot .it still ran out but I couldn't get it true as it was being run into the hallway which was tiled with plank tiles a few weeks ago by myself (dot and dabbed, one at each end and one in the middle,flat as a pancake it was) .
This house is about 200years old , been gutted ,we plastered it and I've just tiled it all, whoever did the concreting wanted shooting , but like the bloke said, "its reyt Widdy, when I spill me beer it will run to corner, easier to mop up "
Known the man for years , a superb stone mason , he made the fire place , his stone work is top class, his block work is not :(

Reply to Slc, What's Your Preferred Brand? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

B
Hi all. I have 40sqm of floor to pour slc over. Half is concrete and half is 25mm plywood over...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all. First time poster here so thanks in advance for any help you can give and apologies if...
Replies
Views
M
I need some new trowels and was wondering what brand trowels people thinks the best. I know it's...
Replies
Views
steve-tiler
S
J
Mapei Ultraplan Renovation Screed is quite new to me, but what primer sticks to IT... - Mapei...
Replies
Views
julian2000
J
A
I am tiling the following floors in my house renovation and was wondering what the views are on...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB