Discuss Spiked roller or not ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

Hi , I seem to be doing something wrong when I self level floors, they never are flat after I have used self leveller ? I recently self levelled over a chip board floor that had old adhesive stuck too it then over boarded with cement board and still had too build the tiles up with adhesive to make the floor flat? I used the correct slc and mixed it to the manufacturers instructions. Would a spiked roller help with the slc process? :smilewinkgrin:

P

Protilers

self leveling is really self smoothing IMO.......two hits or use the batten method......like Phil.......In my time I have also fixed Drywall screws into a floor..........find your high point and work away from that with a straight edge.....screwing drywalls as you go....500mm apart.....when you are finished you will have the tops of the screws as level across the floor.....latex to them and bobs your uncle!........

that is my helpful post for the month sorted!!!.......hehehehehheheehhehe

all the best

Lee

D

DHTiling

I am investing in one of these...

647324.jpg

B

bugs183

nice vid Dave....but I guess I was right that they are like the old carbide trowels.....they have a fixed depth......and therefore will screed the humps and bumps of the floor less the "leveling" ability of the SLC......

its not for me......

Try one mate, they are great for levelling/smoothing/sorting out duff floors!
Different to the carbide trowel as the adhesive didn't move, the smoothing compound moves about and slumps/levels into the dips if mixed nice and smoothly

B

bugs183

if you are "skimming" a flat floor it will do the job quicker than any other method...I am sure.........

here is a carbide tipped trowel....old school full bed trowel for those that have never heard of it.......almost the same principal IMO:

View attachment 52577

I could never see how these trowels worked as they put no key onto the floor, yes you got the floors flat, but there are no teeth to bite the adhesive into the floor, quality leveling compounds seem to key themselves in.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Protilers

Try one mate, they are great for levelling/smoothing/sorting out duff floors!
Different to the carbide trowel as the adhesive didn't move, the smoothing compound moves about and slumps/levels into the dips if mixed nice and smoothly

what I ment Bugs was.........if you used SLC and spread it about with a carbide tipped trowel.....the effect would be the same....IMO.......you are "pushing/ pulling" the slc to a fixed depth....and therefore by proxy you are following the floor.......but the slc will "smooth" a bit..............I am better off with my method........of trowel, roller, screws, datums etc............what with these new 50mm latexes and all!"!!!!

all the best lads...and TBH if its sorts you out then great.....we are all looking for a solid bed EH!

Lee

P

Protilers

Lee. the 2 feet are adjustable up to 20mm deep, so not fixed in-situ..

Okay Dave......it is interesting........but, I still think it is fixed at the height you set the "FEET"......the natural verlocity of water/latex is key......its great if the screed/boards are not that rough.......IMO....

Oh and I have been wrong before....and I will be again........ask my wife.........but please dont do it while she is raking the skid marks from my skid pants.....

all the best

Lee

Reply to Spiked roller or not ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB