Discuss splashback i will be doing.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

yeh everything that's not fixed down or cant be unscrewed will be removed from the room I will get some fresh thick dust sheets to cover worktop with and tbh in this case I will be ok with removing sockets and taping up while I install the new p.b.... I will just start from the other side of the room to get a feel for the walls then when it comes to going around the units I should be warmed up lol thanks

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Mr Tea Bag now is your chance to work with some 6mm Hardiebacker. Glue it onto the existing tiles and you have the perfect base to tile onto. Also, that electric socket is in a very bad place, I'm surprised it has not already melted!

I can't work out that 2nd picture. Is that valve up high (near ceiling)? I would not waste my time boxing it in. Just make a hole and grout or silicone it.

Good luck.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Mr Tea Bag now is your chance to work with some 6mm Hardiebacker. Glue it onto the existing tiles and you have the perfect base to tile onto. Also, that electric socket is in a very bad place, I'm surprised it has not already melted!

I can't work out that 2nd picture. Is that valve up high (near ceiling)? I would not waste my time boxing it in. Just make a hole and grout or silicone it.

Good luck.

What if the splashback ends at an architrave? Why would you not box the pipes in? Boxing in is extra work, which is extra money, and an around better job.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
What if the splashback ends at an architrave? Why would you not box the pipes in? Boxing in is extra work, which is extra money, and an around better job.
I just thought that the valve was way up high (like above some units or something) so a bit of extra grout or silicone would not be seen.

Tea Bag is not being paid for this job.

The 100ml pipe looks like a vent from a boiler, but it also looks like a waste pipe!!!!! I'm chuckling to myself as I have never seen a waste pipe on a kitchen worktop before! We need to see another pic (but taken a bit further away).

I know mate its the one that jack built.... I gavnt really checked what those pipes are bit the big pipe below them is sitting just on top ot the worktop and its extraction for the dryer

- - - Updated - - -

wtf is goin on with my keyboard tonight lol

Ash are you sure the big pipe is an extractor?
Looks like a boiler flue to me and the other two pipes are the flow and rtn for the boiler.
The valve you can see is a automatic air vent (with a small leak) box these in as that valve will need to be accessible.
I would be surprised if the tiling is behind the units. Like someone else has said could just be the cornice. Good luck matey dont forget to take pics before, during and after.

A

AMtek

I would take it all down mate, if it's for practice then you might as well take it down and we can tell you how to put it back together and you can get some extra prep practice! If the tiles are behind the wall units then just take the wall units off, tile and put them back up again. If you aren't gaoing to box those pipes in then if you can set out so a grout line falls on the middle of the pipes and you can cut round the pipes with 2 tiles, it will look neater (but only if setting out like this isn't going to leave small cuts anywhere)

C

charlie1

so what about the paint on the tiles mate? and some tiles are cracked which isn't a good sign in any case lol. the tiles don't meet at an architrave but the tiles are already sticking out a couple of mm so if I was to tile on to tile they would look terrible

As for the tile on paint, no problem, scratch it then tile if the paint is well stuck, if not then take as much paint off as you can. As for the tiles sticking out, use thicker trim and take it a few rows higher (if that will solve the problem).

you could be walking in to a mine field taking those tiles off mr t, don't underestimate it.

I will be boxing it in mate may aswell ply it in as thompsonbrown advised they will need accessing was thinkin of nocking up a frame and fixing plasterboard then tiling but I wont now will just paint it. yeh I think I will take at least half a day just setting out until I feel completely confident about each tile being a nice size lol thanks
Ash you could always build the boxing tile it then just silicone it back to the wall so it can be removed if needed.

Reply to splashback i will be doing.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Just about to start tiling the final wall in my kitchen I've tiled all the way around up to the...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi all, I was hoping I could get a little advice. Currently doing a bit of tiling in the...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB