Discuss splashback i will be doing.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
Lots and lots of advice here Ash - a simple truth in these situations is that you often have to remove the tiles as carefully as possible then assess what (if any) repairs need to be made before starting tiling.

If you need to box in something that has to be accessible, silicone is a good option, but you can also utilise these magnetic catches
Magnetic Catches - 4 pack £4.92 in stock - next day UK delivery

There are a lot of options when repairing plasterboard after tile removal. if holes/damaged plasterboard is less than 25% of the tile area then you may get away with tiling straight over the damage, although you need to assess - rigidity of remaining plaster board, thickness of tile, security of the wall area as a whole.

IMHO remove the tiles in any event - folded dust sheets on worktops will prevent damage to surfaces. Assess walls, repair if necessary and re-tile.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

couldn't agree more andy the advice on this thread has been perfect for what I am doing all positive although some I don't agree with thanks everyone... yeh the tiles have been up a long time so im guessing thet plasterboard is just going to come off with the tiles but you never know lol... folded dust sheets will be standard for me in every kitchen I ever do... I am quite confident I have the skills to do any repair work needed to make the walls as strong as possible. i suppose we shal wait and see but ive put a price to her for all the materials now so no going back lol cheers... oh and those magnetic catches are the way to go i think. i saw dave put some pics up a few months back with similar ones ;)

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Where abouts is the boiler Ash? There certainly shouldn't be a boiler flu running along a work top!?!
folded dust sheets don't always give as much protection as you think they will. I've had a couple of occasions when tiles have fallen onto shower trays which were covered with dust sheets, and got chipped. Buy a sheet of hardboard, and cut it to size. Less aggravation to work on too.
as for how long... I'd say a day for prep. Hard to say for tiling, as so many variables. Tile size/type etc. I did a splashback with small hand made clay tiles, which I expected to take a day, and it took me three! All different shapes and thicknesses. Drove me nuts!

M

Mr Tiler

ok il have the basis in mind that 2-3 days is sufficient although I will take my time so will compare it against the 3 days

- - - Updated - - -

we need more pics further away...and its very bad practice to tile on tile imo its what those guys do who leave there horses tied up outside!
il post some when im up there again mate but when im up there il be taking it all out anyways

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to splashback i will be doing.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Just about to start tiling the final wall in my kitchen I've tiled all the way around up to the...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi all, I was hoping I could get a little advice. Currently doing a bit of tiling in the...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB