UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Square meter price in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

well i nearly always do price work ,as thats the way i 'am used to working ,But have just taken a day- work job on , and the fellers i'am working with keep wanting to slow me down,and saying calm down we are only on day-work,which i'am finding a real battle to do as i'am so used to getting cracking ,it's a bit of a rip-off if you ask me as we end-up taking much longer to do the job, just to make sure we all get payed more lol.

T

The D

The things that I charge a day rate for. Any thing that comes under sub-straight preparation
laying under floor heating.
Laying ditra mat.
Laying SLC.
Stripping tiles.
Re boarding.
Making boxing.

Then I have my set price per m2
£x for ceramics
£x for porcelain
£x for mosaics
£x for stone
£x for large format ceramics
£x for large format porcelain
£x for large format stone
The price I put on a day rate has no resemblance to what I can make in a day on my m2 price
My day rate is there for the things that I do not consider quantifiable and is the minimum I will work for
Per day. I can spend 2 days on prep for a 20m2 floor and only make £280.00 but then I can fix the tiles in 1 day and get £500.00. When I am fixing tiles you are not paying for my time.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
well i nearly always do price work ,as thats the way i 'am used to working ,But have just taken a day- work job on , and the fellers i'am working with keep wanting to slow me down,and saying calm down we are only on day-work,which i'am finding a real battle to do as i'am so used to getting cracking ,it's a bit of a rip-off if you ask me as we end-up taking much longer to do the job, just to make sure we all get payed more lol.

Only problem with that day rate mentality, is you may not get the call next time, so in the long run, you're losing money, not making more... People have an idea of how much a job is going to cost, and if you're dragging your feet, that price will shoot up very quickly.

P

Pebbs

I've just turned down a few weeks work in London as it's all day rate. There is some serious meterage to be done too. I think it's taking the you know what expecting people to lay big floors on day work, the main contractor would be making a fortune off the back of it!

Wherever possible, I don't pay day rates, what is the point? I want the job turned around as quick as possible...time is money! Put the men on price, and you haven't got to be nagging them all day long to get a move on. Its a ridiculous notion to put men on day rates laying a big floor, dont these contractors have a programme to meet? Pete you say the contractors will be making a fortune of the back of those contracts, but not if they have penalty clauses when they run over their programme.

Obviously if its tricky stuff, then it has to be done on day works, its just common sense. I always sit down with the lads once a month get the drawings out for anything on tender, (only the contracts we are really targetting, the rest Im not so concerned about) Then we have a heated debate about prices, and come to some agreement. But there are times (like at the moment) when we are on a nightmare contract, the rates are rubbish, the site is pants, but we just have to keep our heads down and mouths shut, because its winter and we are warm indoors, and no one is sitting at home. A couple of the new ones have moaned about the rates, but the answer is this, if your not happy go and sit at home and wait for the phone to ring. Jan, Feb and March, are always slow.

Lynn

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Wherever possible, I don't pay day rates, what is the point? I want the job turned around as quick as possible...time is money! Put the men on price, and you haven't got to be nagging them all day long to get a move on. Its a ridiculous notion to put men on day rates laying a big floor, dont these contractors have a programme to meet? Pete you say the contractors will be making a fortune of the back of those contracts, but not if they have penalty clauses when they run over their programme.

Obviously if its tricky stuff, then it has to be done on day works, its just common sense. I always sit down with the lads once a month get the drawings out for anything on tender, (only the contracts we are really targetting, the rest Im not so concerned about) Then we have a heated debate about prices, and come to some agreement. But there are times (like at the moment) when we are on a nightmare contract, the rates are rubbish, the site is pants, but we just have to keep our heads down and mouths shut, because its winter and we are warm indoors, and no one is sitting at home. A couple of the new ones have moaned about the rates, but the answer is this, if your not happy go and sit at home and wait for the phone to ring. Jan, Feb and March, are always slow.

Lynn

absolutely! I don't know much about the job I mentioned Lynn but I got the feeling that there was no sense of urgency. I think I'd just rather work for a low price than day rate as 99% of the time I'd still be better off.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Square meter price in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Tiling Rates Per Square Meter / Per Day – How much do tilers charge? I know this is a hard...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tiling-rates-per-square-meter-per-day-how-much-do-tilers-cha...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.