UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Square metre price quoted - in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
nice place donegal, i used to go there about 18 years ago with a lorry to load crab and lobster from burtonport, i was there when my ex wife went into labour with my daughter, false alarm thank god as it would take at least 12 hrs to get home :thumbsup:

I'd have to agree, Its where all the best tilers end up, eh Paul

As for this topic, I never take out for a window, open out the reveals and you have near the area of the window anyway, not to mention the cutting, fitting trim, leveling up cills, heads and reveals etc. We should be charging extra for windows?

I'm with most of the guys here, but i spent a couple of years in Perth and the practice over there was to count every tile and every single cut. Then use that sum as whole tiles counted then times the sq area of the tile.So in effect count all cuts and tiles as whole tiles this allows for wastage and cutting within your rate per sq, mtr. :drool5:
Normally I just check how many tiles supplied and subtract whats left in whole tiles
or just quote from total tiles supplied and stick to the quote.
But! I believe that the meterage is really just a guide to price the job, once the job has been quoted, I dont care what the meterage was in the end, a quote is a quote and if you have accepted that then its a done deal. If you have agreed to a price you should really pay it imo:thumbsup:
If the Tiler or any Tradesman or woman should chose to use some discretion in a matter like this then thats up to them. But I am sure that if the job was under quoted, the client wouldnt offer to pay the difference.

T

Time's Ran Out

If to quote an example - 20 sq mts of tiles were supplied and every tile was used, the job was complete and the wastage is off cuts from the middle of tiles, then the appropriate rate for 20sq mts should be charged.
It is not physically possible to fix 20+ mts of tiles when only 20 has been supplied. To charge more for cuts as full tiles and extra for cutting around windows etc. should be itemised in a estimate prior to commencing the job to allow the customer to compare prices on a like for like basis.
To try and charge more after the job is complete on the basis that has been originally described is unprofessional and unfair to the customer and other companies trying to compete for work.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I agree with most arguments regarding the rights and wrongs of charging for m2 fixed. But as stated above, the wastage should be Incorporated at the pricing stage ie, 5%, 10%, 15% depending on the size of the tile.

We all know as professionals it is near impossible to quantify a job down to the last tile, without setting a datum line and centering each wall/floor to give the most aesthetically pleasing effect.

If for example I am using a 600x600 tile, and to centre one wall to give equal cuts of lets say 450 either side, then I am wasting 150x 600, If I can use these off-cuts in the installation then I will.

In my opinion the 450x600 is a full tile, it has taken if anything more time to fix than a full tile, as it has had to be cut. Ergo. the amount of tiles handled/ fixed/ cut, should be charged for.

Again this should be allowed for in the pricing stage, I know a lot of quantity surveyors would disagree with me, but I am still fighting battles with certain QS's :mad2:

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
im not sure if the op of this thread has been charged for over his amount bought if that is the case i think its wrong ie if he supplied 20 metres of tiles and has been charged for 23 if thats the case its wrong

but if he has been charged 20 metres on a 17 metre room size and the tilers used the full 20 metres the tiler is within his rights

would be nice if that could be clarified by the op

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
same as all the others - time taken in cutting etc is far more than just sticking a full tile up. My final invoice is what the estimate / quote was in the first place - unless extra work was required and price agreed before commencing that work. If the tiler has just increased their invoice with no discussions - challenge away.

Last edited:

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Just my tuppence if the guy has said so much a m2 then he should have been able to give a final price before he started the job,i personally dont allow for tiles handled but do add on 10% for waste, hence if the job is 20 m2 i quote for 22m2 which is pretty much the same,but my invoices will state the exact figure i expect when the job is done,which will be the same as the one i have verbally agreed before commencing the job,as the o/p stated they have been charged for a wall that wasnt even tiled,cant see how anyone can justify that.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Square metre price quoted - in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Good day all. My daughter has asked me to tile a cooker splashback in her kitchen. They've...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Tiling Rates Per Square Meter / Per Day – How much do tilers charge? I know this is a hard...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Square metre price quoted -
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.