Guest viewing is limited

Discuss stupid questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Olz

Heres one that always produces a few different view points,

Could a plane take off from a conveyor belt, the conveyor belt isnt motorised, it just moves when resistance is applied to it, eg, if you stood on it then walked forward, the conveyor would move backward, like on of those non motorised treadmills.

My view is that the plane would take off as it would still move forward, becuase the wheels on the plane arent what push it forward, the jet engines do, do there wouldnt be any direct pressure applied to the conveyor belt through the wheels, (the brakes on the plane arent on). The wheels are just their to stop the plane scraping along the tarmac. So the jet engines would push the plane forward and it would take off, presuming it could reach the required take off speed.

It would be different for say a car, which gains speed through the wheels applying pressure to the conveyor, which would just move at the same speed as the car, and it would go no where, like a rolling road.

What do you lot think? could the plane take off

O

Olz

I think that the wheels would turn slightly due to some friction, but the key point in my mind is that the conveyor moving wouldnt prevent the plane from being propelled forward, becuase a plain relied on the thrust from the engines to push it forward, not friction from the wheels. In the same way that a jump jet simly lifts itself into the air, then changes the angle of the jets to push forward. The wheels only serve to stop the plane scraping along the floor.

I just cant image why the convyor would actually cause the plain to go backwards on it. Or remain still. It would be a different story if a plane accellerated through the wheels then used the engines when in the air though, as clearly, like a car on a rolling road, it wouldnt go anywhere.

I stand to be corrected though, im no scientist.

J

jay

I think that the wheels would turn slightly due to some friction, but the key point in my mind is that the conveyor moving wouldnt prevent the plane from being propelled forward, becuase a plain relied on the thrust from the engines to push it forward, not friction from the wheels. In the same way that a jump jet simly lifts itself into the air, then changes the angle of the jets to push forward. The wheels only serve to stop the plane scraping along the floor.

I just cant image why the convyor would actually cause the plain to go backwards on it. Or remain still. It would be a different story if a plane accellerated through the wheels then used the engines when in the air though, as clearly, like a car on a rolling road, it wouldnt go anywhere.

I stand to be corrected though, im no scientist.

i think and can be corrected that a plane needs a volume of air under its wings to create lift thus needing speed to achieve lift but its only a thought but oli you got me thinking ta:8:

Reply to stupid questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

T
Not a question, but a suprising observation of an illusion! My next task has been to come up...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
K
Hello I thought i would stop by and introduce my self as I have a feeling im going to be...
Replies
Views
M
I’m about to embark on a mission to tile the upstairs bathroom and en-suite floor in a new...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
should have been starting a new job last thursday, on wed trying to contact my partner to...
Replies
Views
Richard Edwards
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
stupid questions
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.