UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Substrates for travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

_Adrian

Hi,

I've been reading through the masses of useful info available here, but now could do with some advice please.

I will be tiling a bathroom in 12mm thick travertine, and have only now become aware of the maximum weights supported by different substrates. Wish I'd looked into it sooner :mad2:

From what I've seen here, the travertine will weigh around 36kg/m2 (including a 3mm adhesive bed), plus grout at 2kg/m2, but the substrates I have and the weights they'll support are:
aquapanel 55kg/m2 (I assumed it falls into the cement backer board category),
sand and cement render 40kg/m2,
15mm plasterboard 32kg/m2 (or is that rating for 12.5mm plasterboard?), and
12mm WBP 30kg/m2.

The numbers look like I'm going to have problems as the WBP and PB won't support the weight... or will it be OK? Maybe its wishful thinking that the numbers are over-engineered.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a cost-effective way to overcome this.

Thanks,

Adrian

A

_Adrian

Thanks for all the replies guys. The shower and bath areas have the aquapanel, so I'm happy about them.

I'm glad I asked about the WBP! It's not entirely too late as some of it hasn't been fixed. I can use plasterboard instead of most of it, and the one wall where it'll be too much hassle to remove the WBP I can easily overboard with plasterboard - I have some left over 12.5mm fireproof plasterboard that's the right size - is there any reason why I can't use that?

But then this comes back to my first concern about whether the weight of the 12mm travertine is too heavy for successfully tiling onto bare plasterboard?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Substrates for travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hi, We have brought 600 x 400 x 12 travertine for wall and floor in a small bathroom. The...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
D
Hi, just joined, hello everyone! I would like some advice if possible please. I am a...
Replies
Views
Mr Tiler
M
A
Hi, I’m still planning my first proper tiling job (in my own house) and have been trying to get...
Replies
Views
_Adrian
A
Hi all, Been reading the forums for a while now and it is now my turn to request some advice...
Replies
Views
Scott
S
This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Substrates for travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.