Discuss Template for cutting floor tile around toilet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

hi
having read all posts on this thread then its each to their own. i was trained with nips and wasnt even allowed a wetcutter until i could nip a curve. ive been doing it that way for 5 years and only now am i getting confident with using my eye to gauge where i can start from without taking off to much. i always leave a bit extra on and will put the cut up to the toilet and run my pencil around it to then nip off for a nice tight finish. it has taken me time to get quick at it and sometimes i do break the odd tile which can be really annoying especially if its right near the end,im sure we've all been there.
Try some of the ways given and find what your comfortable with and over time you'll get quicker at it.
Good luck

D

DHTiling

OK sometimes mickey taking can be taken the wrong way.

First off, I never intended any insult to Phil Hobson and apologise unreservedly for any offence given. Furthermore, I have read many of Phil’s responses on a wide range of tiling matters and fully respect his expertise based on what I have seen him post.

Secondly I don’t understand what trolling is.

Thirdly, if I make any comments that start strong responses, I stop posting on that thread – I don’t see this or any other forum as a platform for arguing – I see them as a useful resource for everyone interested in that topic.

Fourth and last is the question of what is right or wrong, good or bad in tiling is often a matter of opinion and nothing more. Dave and other admin/moderators are right to intervene if you think something goes beyond the aims and objectives of the forum – there is no intention from me to undermine this forum and I apologise if I have caused an either real or apparent problem in my posting – that was not my intent.

Thank you.. The rules of the forum are simple.. be nice or get removed.. and thankfully 99% of members love this rule and stick to it, hence why Tilers forums is what it is.

As for Troll
.. lol.. Google is your friend.. and yes we do clamp down quick on this.

M

MartinH

Folks thank you very much for all the advice you have provided on this topic, there are obviously a number of ways to do it and what is clear is that the only way I will know is by doing it and over time working out which is best for me ......

I initially sought the advice as this is my first time having todo this and wanted to have some confidence that I was apporaching in the right way...what this thread has done is also provide alternative methods and sound advice specifically regarding the "nibbling".....many thanks to all and ill let you know how it went !

D

diamondtiling

Just read all the way through this thread and it reminded me of the first time I had to cut around a loo and pedestal. I kept waiting until the owner of the house went out for the morning before I started to do the cuts. I thought they might think I did not know what I was doing if they saw my method.
It involved the paper out of my van, a pencil and a pair of scissors to make a template. The cuts were nice and tight and I thought I was really ingenious for thinking of doing the cuts that way. Only later did I realise that many many tilers use the same method.
Phil has a few years on me but that was over 25 years ago.

So long as the end result is satisfactory just stick to what you know but be prepared to learn a few tricks when us oldies start yabbering.

Now where are my slippers and pipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MartinH

diamondtiling - the great thing about this forum is that its good to know its there.........you can buy all the latest tools, cutters etc....but you cannot buy the experience...and the beauty of it is that on here, its free....well at the moment it is !.......as someone new to the trade, this forum was recommended to me by someone who simply said " you will learn more from tilers on that forum, than you will ever learn months on end in a training room"...enough said really and this forum for me is probably the most important tool I have..who knows in years to come I hope I can hand down the experience to others...that will depend on whether I get killed by the customer for him not liking my cut around his toilet !!!

Reply to Template for cutting floor tile around toilet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, 1st time tiling, decided our ensuite would benefit from being a wetroom. Quick question, any...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Template for cutting floor tile around toilet
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.