Discuss Template for cutting floor tile around toilet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
I cant believe everyone is talking about paper templates...........

First off, try to centre tile layout around the toilet. Make sure that at the back of the toilet you have a joint in the centre - it is a nightmare to try and fit a whole tile behind a toilet.

Second, fit the full tiles around your toilet.

Third, mark a rough guide (very rough sketch to keep your mind straight about where to nibble) of the cut you need to make.

Fourth, lay the tile exactly in an adjacent line (either with adjacent horizontal; or vertical tile) and mark the point between edge of the set tile and toilet, on your tile to be cut, so that you have a starting point.

Fifth, get a marker rod/ruler (Rubi TS lateral stops are popular for this). Place it exactly up against the toilet base, and mark the position on your marker, of the mark made on the tile to be cut. Now use the rod as a template marker - keeping it exactly at 90 degrees to the tile, move it inch by inch around the toilet base. Mark on your tile, the point on your rod that was transfered from your tile - effectively you will quickly mark the shape of the cut exactly onto the tile.

Once the tile is marked up, use a wet cutter to cut out most of the waste tile, the use nibblers to get to the exact marked line. Until you get confident with your marking, always cut too little. As you cut more away you can place your tile against the toilet, and use a pencil to fully mark the final cut.

This really works well, is so much more professional than DIY or paper templates, and wont get you laughed off the first building site you work on.

However, If the tile is bigger than the gap between the toilet and adjacent wall, either partially cut away known waste on the tile until you can get a proper marking on it, or you may need to use a short ruler to mark a straight line adjacent to the toilet, or measure distance to toilet base at 1" intervals, then transfer to tile.

This may sound complicated at first, but I haven't time to photograph this in practice - sorry.

And to all you paper templaters.... bah humbug! :lol::lol::lol:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

:yikes:I must be doing something wrong eek:yikes: All these years. I have never been laughed off a site, and never will be, templates DIY???????. Can you explain. I am confused, or is this a wind up. Granted the ideal situation would be to remove the sanitary ware but sometimes it is not possible. DIY I find that an insult, to the extreme, If I have taken this post out of context I must apologize. But templates are a very important part of tiling, for a pro.:thumbsup:

Somerset
I love it when everyone gets all agitated - but surely controversy is part of a good discussion?

I know that a lot of tilers use BnQ plastic templates, paper, cardboard, plastic etc. Could even be said that shows an innovative approach to a problem. All that matters is a good job at the end of the day (and a good quick job earns money). But I still dont like paper templates and think they are unprofessional.

As for nibblers - Mike - they still remain one of the quckest tools for accurate removal of small amounts of tile waste - I know there are "Sigma" tilers who can break 4mm off the edge of a tile, but I still score with a manual cutter and use nibblers to break at the score on such small cuts - about 10 times quicker than using a diamond dry/wet cutter. And what do you guys do when the electric gets cut off?

M

Mike

As a recent newbie to site work, two things come to mind as real frustrations - when some one unplugs your electrics when you are trying to do an accurate cut (loss of light and power) and ever tried laying floor tiles by torchlight?
Sometimes hugging a well used toilet to get a good template cut around it seems like an attractive job.. :lol::lol::lol:
i used to do steel erecting years ago and we had to be careful whilst drilling the steelwork with a rotobroach drill (very heavy and costs around £1500) it holds to the steelwork with an electric magnet whilst drilling so you had to watch the cables/spiders or you'd get some divvy unplugging it and then it would fall to the floor:mad2:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I love it when everyone gets all agitated - but surely controversy is part of a good discussion?

I know that a lot of tilers use BnQ plastic templates, paper, cardboard, plastic etc. Could even be said that shows an innovative approach to a problem. All that matters is a good job at the end of the day (and a good quick job earns money). But I still dont like paper templates and think they are unprofessional.

As for nibblers - Mike - they still remain one of the quckest tools for accurate removal of small amounts of tile waste - I know there are "Sigma" tilers who can break 4mm off the edge of a tile, but I still score with a manual cutter and use nibblers to break at the score on such small cuts - about 10 times quicker than using a diamond dry/wet cutter. And what do you guys do when the electric gets cut off?

Hi I must bow down to your 2yrs experience NOT but each to their own I have 43yrs in this iindustry and I find your comments offensive . Take this as you will. Regards Phil.:thumbsdown:

D

Daz

Okay, I've skimmed this thread so apologies if I'm duplicating another post.

I don't use templates, mainly because I was never taught that way. I'll try to describe my method.......

I will cut a thin strip from the edge of a tile so that it is the full pitch of the tile.
I position the "target" tile so that it sits where the nearest full tile would be but set forward by the grout joint width (I hope that makes sense).
I then use the cut strip by lining it up against the sanitary ware so that I can plot a point on the target tile. By moving the strip around the sanitary object and plotting the points I can join the dots to replicate the sanitary shape.

I appreciate that I have not described this very well, but it does work for me and gives near spot on results everytime.

Daz

I've just read Andys post and I'm sure my method is the same so apologies for the duplication.

I would also like to add that I don't regard my method as the best way, it just the way I learnt and I'm comfortable with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ScottG13

lay the tile exactly in an adjacent line (either with adjacent horizontal; or vertical tile) and mark the point between edge of the set tile and toilet, on your tile to be cut, so that you have a starting point.

Fifth, get a marker rod/ruler (Rubi TS lateral stops are popular for this). Place it exactly up against the toilet base, and mark the position on your marker, of the mark made on the tile to be cut. Now use the rod as a template marker - keeping it exactly at 90 degrees to the tile, move it inch by inch around the toilet base. Mark on your tile, the point on your rod that was transfered from your tile - effectively you will quickly mark the shape of the cut exactly onto the tile.
:

I have used this method but marked the tile to be cut with an off cut of another tile. Just allow for grout line and the measurements will be exactly where they need to be.

Gonna get me some lining paper though, can't be a bad idea. Ideally toilet removal and refitting is best, did one a while back and had to replace the waste connector due to the toilet being raised. Im sure the seals go on them once you remove but only a few quid for a new one

Reply to Template for cutting floor tile around toilet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, 1st time tiling, decided our ensuite would benefit from being a wetroom. Quick question, any...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Template for cutting floor tile around toilet
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.