UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Terminating Broadband provider in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

Right, BT want to charge me £30 for terminating my broadband contract. The trouble is, we've not been in a contract with them since the first contract expired. We signed up for a 12 month deal on BT Total Broadband about 6 years ago, and when that expired they kept ringing to tie us up for a further 12 months in return for lower monthly costs etc but I flatly refused to sign up for anything new. So we just paid monthly for the same broadband service, never agreeing to be tied into anything. And now they want to charge £30 to terminate the broadband account. Does anybody know if I can get around this?

Without digging out the broadband paperwork (which I doubt I have) I have no idea whether this is in their T&C's from 6 years ago. Has anybody else faced this?

Ta muchly

G

Gazzer

I don't know Alan. I can honestly say that I don't think I have any paperwork from 6 years ago. I could understand paying a charge if I was tied into a deal, or only being with them a few months, but after 6 years I kind of hoped I'd get away with no costs. I can't wait to find out exactly what the £30 is going to cover in terminating my account.

Someone has to pay towards the office party.

C

Colour Republic

I moved BB recently and had a massive row with talk talk, is been with them for 10 Years and they gave me the whole 'computer' says no routine, basically my line switched 1 day after my normal billing period meaning I owed them about 40 pence but they wanted to charge me my normal upfront charge of £40 only to then refund me 6 weeks later minus the 40p I owed. Sod off!

I spent far too much time on the phone but out of principle I wouldn't pay them anymore than the 40p, after being told by at least 4 different people after many phone calls that it was impossible, finally someone saw sense and just said don't worry we'll wipe the tiny amount off and close the account.

i learned with them to never say you we're happy with the call, they can't close the case and each time it gets escalated until somebody who can make the computer say yes rings you to sort it out.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
There appears to be nothing within these terms and conditions, which presumably are the only document that form your contract, which allow for them to make such a charge. As such it would be unlawful for them to charge it. Are you moving to another supplier?? If so tell bto tae a flying jump. Cancel your direct debit and then move... You are not in a hold to term contract. Looks to me like bt are trying it on as usual.....

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Problem is, your incumbent supplier has to pass the MAC code onto your new supplier and this can cause a real headache.

This might help

MAC Codes, MAC Numbers & Switching Broadband - uSwitch.com

I had a problem when I was thinking about changing my landline from BT to TalkTalk. I agreed the deal but then changed my mind after speaking to BT they gave me a better deal. I then went to cancel my arrangement with Talk Talk and they wanted £130 off me to transfer the line. The line was still with BT but yet TT wanted that off me. Told them where to go and told BT to speak to TT to cancel my contract with them and they did the job for me.

Just be aware though if you are with TT at moment and want to move you will have to pay them to transfer as they take ownership of the line away from BT when you sign up for them as I understand it. They just thought I would collapse and pay the money and I suppose plenty have.

C

Colour Republic

Just be aware though if you are with TT at moment and want to move you will have to pay them to transfer as they take ownership of the line away from BT when you sign up for them as I understand it.

They basically have their own hardware at the exchange so they take your line and put it on it. When I first joined TT rented the line off BT but when then a few years later they started moving lines to their own hardware... Maybe 4 years ago I looked at moving and found out they did this without telling me and it meant I couldn't move to certain providers because of it, I would have to move the line back to BT for 12 months before I could then transfer it out again. Of course I kicked up a fuss and said I had signed no such deal (which I hadn't) and they in turn gave me a great deal to shut me up, so I stayed with them up until now.

I recently moved to Plusnet (best deal for what I wanted) and the only reason I could without hassle is because they are part of BT

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Terminating Broadband provider in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, I've had to come to the arms now to get a definitive solution to a problem I'm having...
Replies
Views
MW Smith Ceramics
M
C
Hi all. We contract to a conservatory installation company that pass us maybe 3 conservatories...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.