UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss terracotta finish in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

yes i new graham oliver before he went to castelnau and still see him now and again
those tiles were from them in the picture
yes , i remember him well at castelnau. he was not the owner and nice as he was not that up on the terracotta i thought and then he up and left and opened up a shop in ascot called Hyperion. Still going and done very well for himself i think.
sorry about not being able to meet today, there was an access problem as i explained today, but should be possible mon/tues next week if youre about , then im off site for few weeks and back again for another few weeks.
sorry i digress.
looked up corres tiles and they are long gone. elon still going in chelsea and using bentons traditional.
think they are best bet to ask if oil already in tiles. otherwise water based sealer always ok on top of oil but not other way round. seems like me and my exploding tiles are a figment of my imagination as no one else on this forum aware of this.it is on the net though!!so i cant have completely lost it!!

T

TMTservices

photo.jpg
Not sure if this pic is any better quality, to help identify. PJ I think they look the same as in your pic. Did yours get the linseed treatment finished with Patina?

Sorry for the constant questions! But you guys know your terracotta!

J

jonnyc

i don't think the salt pots were anything to do with the oil but a fault in the tile used to get a lot of fired earth tiles that did it he he and saltillo is a type of mexican tile still use today now and again and was playing about with a spanish hand made today i think i worked with just about every terracotta brought into the uk and some that weren't

have you worked with sussex terracotta . i really rated their tiles and done nice church projects with them.
what about the reaclaimed parefeuille tiles from paris ceramics and fired earth. they were actually insulation tiles under roofs in france , hence the water run marks you used to get , where water leeked through and run down tile face.
I fixed mountains of these for paris ceramics and over the years go back to clean/reseal with my restoration company . they have worn very badly in high traffic areas even with pc1 sealer and they are a definite no no for floor covering.

J

jonnyc

ok sorry, i think you should forget about my worries about exploding tiles and think about how you go from where you are now.
youve done the oil. phone casdron enterprises on 01962 732 126 and ask for bob .tell him what tile and what put on it. he will advise from here.
i think you will find that they sell an oil based sealer which you may not need now and then recommend classic wax on top.
think he will want pics of tiles but he really knows his stuff. we go way back and say hello to him from johnny clarke. best of luck.
there is always an answer.

P

Perry

ok sorry, i think you should forget about my worries about exploding tiles and think about how you go from where you are now.
youve done the oil. phone casdron enterprises on 01962 732 126 and ask for bob .tell him what tile and what put on it. he will advise from here.
i think you will find that they sell an oil based sealer which you may not need now and then recommend classic wax on top.
think he will want pics of tiles but he really knows his stuff. we go way back and say hello to him from johnny clarke. best of luck.
there is always an answer.

Jonny Graham was a salesman one of the best i have seen lol but he has picked a bit up over the years done a few reclaimed ones but always used platina on terracottas so never had the normal problems people used to get with the finishes

P

Perry

sussex terracotta never that i know of Paris ceramics never worked for the but other people brought the same tiles in need very little sealing some of them yes new all about the dirty engine oil too lol had a few floors looked lovely a few weeks later all popped and looked like a minefield always fired earth machine made but always took pictures of their floors when finished so they couldn't blame me

T

TMTservices

Havent tried alan as been away from job for a few days. Back tgis week to final clean and finish.

Had customer contact me and tell me the shop which she bought them from has treated the display tiles with Briwax. The colour of which i dont know but im presuming clear would be the only suitable for these? Or am i wrong?
Customer wants that look, so i dont know wether to just go ahead with that. Although ive ordered patina and the hg Shine seal so i can have a mess about first! Let them see the three with the spare tiles.
The oil residue came off pretty easy and looking well. Customer happy so im happy!

T

TMTservices

Having a bit of a mare with this job now!
Went today with three seperate products. Hg terra, clear briwax and patina. Applied each to seperate spare tiles and customer happy with none of these.
Customers adamant she wants the floor a deep red brown in colour, even the lighter tones of tile.
I have left site and the customer was going to try a few different products and contact me with a finish shes happy with.
If i wanted deep red floor i would have bought tiles of a consistant nature ie all reds and not this batch of tile.
She has now got in touch with me and telling me she has bought briwax mahogany and wants me to go back tomorrow to finish off with this.
Is this wise do you think? Is it fine to apply a tinted wax? What would the long term effects be?
Shes sent me a pic of the terracotta lathered in the stuff and telling me this is what she wants.
I feel like i may as well just paint the floor red if im going to use this mahogany. Lol same principal.

T

TMTservices

Having a bit of a mare with this job now!
Went today with three seperate products. Hg terra, clear briwax and patina. Applied each to seperate spare tiles and customer happy with none of these.
Customers adamant she wants the floor a deep red brown in colour, even the lighter tones of tile.
I have left site and the customer was going to try a few different products and contact me with a finish shes happy with.
If i wanted deep red floor i would have bought tiles of a consistant nature ie all reds and not this batch of tile.
She has now got in touch with me and telling me she has bought briwax mahogany and wants me to go back tomorrow to finish off with this.
Is this wise do you think? Is it fine to apply a tinted wax? What would the long term effects be?
Shes sent me a pic of the terracotta lathered in the stuff and telling me this is what she wants.
I feel like i may as well just paint the floor red if im going to use this mahogany. Lol same principal.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to terracotta finish in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi to all. 10 years ago I made my own timber kitchen. 6 years ago I painted it because the wife...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.