Discuss TF Ed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I spent the afternoon with Ed (Aston tiling) today, we had a good chat and put the world to rights. Ed kindly lent me an old book on tiling, it took me back to my roots in tiling (sand & cement fixing, walls & floors). How things have changed, I remembered some old terms/techniques I had almost forgotten. Thanks Ed.

As I am in the middle of filling in the forms for Master craft accreditation. Ed's book prompted me to dig out some old stuff I will need. Some pics, we don't see much of this stuff anymore, thought I would share them.

Attachments

• CG1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 42
  • CG2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 39
  • CG3.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 43
  • CG4.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 40
  • CG5.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 39
  • CG6.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CG7.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 39
  • CG8.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 36
T

nice to see the old stifficates Phil, (not that I got any, as my wife keeps telling me):thumbsup:

You don't need em Doug, a bit of paper don't make a tiler, to quote Cyril Carter "The mere reading of a text book on the subject will not make a skilled craftsman, and never was it more true to say that an ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory than in this connection.:thumbsup:

T

the book was recommended to me about 4 years ago by gary the tiler. its called 'wall and floor tiling by cyril carter. its a great book full of old school fixing methods and any tiler would really enjoy and learn a lot from it.

I wasn't going to mention the title Ed, as I had not asked your permission, but I told you on the phone I spoke to Bob Howard about it as soon as I got home, Bob ordered the book as we spoke, Bob and I were amongst some of the last apprentices in Britain to be lucky enough to be taught the old methods. ie sand & cement fixing on walls. Most members will know of Bob, but for anyone who doesn't know him, he was awarded the MBE for services to our industry. He is also a key figure in TTA. Thanks again Ed I will take care of the book and get it back to you,:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to TF Ed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello. First time tiler looking for some advice. Doing a bathroom reno and had a professional...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Morning all, Apologies for the delay in posting this. I've moved house and we had to wait for...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Y
I will do a search for the answers to save messing about, but I better fess up and tell you what...
Replies
Views
yahoo2u2
Y
A
Hi, Phil wanted me to put up a post today, just to let everybody know he's hanging in there ;0)...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB