Discuss The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

Whoohh..........a whole new debate! bacon and eggs or no bacon and eggs that is the question! Since I started, every problem, arguement, conflict has been sorted out over breakfast, it must be the smell of the bacon frying or just getting away from the dispute on site that does it. A couple of full english's and a few mugs of tea are not going to skint me out, and the lads appreciate the gesture. At my meeting on Friday, they laid on tea and coffee and bacon and sausage sandwiches, I went away thinking how nice was that?! too many times we are treated like some kind of scumbags just there to be ignored. I shouldnt have stopped them working on Friday, I need the house doing, and it was thoughtless of me to hold them up, I dont want any bad feelings.

Lynn
must've got your knickers in a twist!:oops:

C

cornish_crofter

Looks like Lynn's got it sorted.

The first time I had builders in my house I was about 22 years old. Well I bought my first house when I was just turning 20 and it was a home improvement grant from the local council.

I found out that they were buying their tea at a nearby cafe. They hadn't even sorted a kettle etc. So one evening (we weren't living in the house at the time) I took down a kettle, tea, coffee, sugar, mugs, tea spoons etc. The following morning the GF took down some milk for them.

It was a really small gesture, but it was amaizing how they appreciated it. Basically it was all down to the fact that I had thought of them. They used our kettle etc for the rest of the job but they willingly got their own milk as obviously it doesn't keep too well without a fridge etc.

When they finished, I bought a crate of lager for them, they had one or two there then I suggested they split the rest and take them with them to have that evening (I hate lager!).

On the whole the job went well. We did have a few arguments along the way. Me being so young didn't help I suppose.

R

Rob Z

In Germany, when I grew up, Jay, you will love this, you would never feed builders or decorators, but you'd always offer them a beer... :lol: beer was king of considered the right thing to give, and they never said no... :lol:

I can remember Dad telling me about doing business with the German unions at the docks back in the 1980's. He was in the miltiary and they would arrange to ship equipment to Germany for exercises with the German Army. He always had to have someone work out the contractual details with the German unions....they had stated times in the contract specified for beer breaks during the work day. Classic! :8:

Reply to The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The builders are coming in!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.