Discuss The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

That said you have pulled the plug on them at short notice which isn't great. Think how you would feel if your lads got told not come the following day and you couldn't fill that slot?

Your right, I would have done my nut, you've made me feel bad now about doing that. I could try and justify it and say that being a Friday we finish of early, but everyones not the same. They were ok about it because they had another job to finish of in Putney which they were going to do tomorrow, but it doesn't excuse the fact I shouldnt have done that.

I'll try and give them more notice if something crops up...my wrists have been slapped.

Lynn

C

Colour Republic

Your right, I would have done my nut, you've made me feel bad now about doing that. I could try and justify it and say that being a Friday we finish of early, but everyones not the same. They were ok about it because they had another job to finish of in Putney which they were going to do tomorrow, but it doesn't excuse the fact I shouldnt have done that.

I'll try and give them more notice if something crops up...my wrists have been slapped.

Lynn

Oi stop it, or i'll feel bad for making you feel bad:mad2:

To be honest, if they are trying to finish another job they were probably grateful for the situation, but you get my point. If you mess them about (even if it benefited them by accident) it then becomes harder to argue your case if something does go wrong. I hate being in a weakened position at any point.

I don't need to tell you all of this, I know some of the meetings you have with GC's.

The domestic market isn't that much different, it's just you just have to be a bit more polite about it rather than having a dust up. It sounds like your guys just aren't very good at putting your mind at rest, which more than likely stems from them earwigging you phone conversation and such. I here conversations all the time, but I certainly would let on I had, even if i could benefit from it, as i know it's an invasion of privacy of somebody that is already trying to come to terms with strangers in the house.

J

jay

think you guys and gals are holding out on me
see if i get this right working in U K
you dont need to turn up on time
when you arrive theres a cuppa and scones waiting
coffee and tea whenever
lunch is at least an hour
you leave your rubish on site for client to get rid of
and you do bugger all
and last but not least the women wear no nickers when they expect tradies

can someone point me to moving to U K thread ta

and pebbs can we have some pics

of the work to date :smilewinkgrin:

M

mikethetile

Lynn

dont know which borough your in but it makes little difference, rubbish disposal is a nightmare in London and you cant expect them to shift part loads from your property at the end of each day, if theres somewhere to drop a skip on your property they would have done it as thats the most cost effective way of disposal, as it is the truck will come and collect it at some point , but dont let it get too big.

P

Pebbs

Ive decided to take the rubbish to the tip tomorrow, and Ive done a bit of a clean up today, in all fairness they are making progress, when the paper came off the walls are full of cracks, and they have been all filled and plastering has begun. It seems like one of them is the grafter and the other one is the gob a lot, I will also take them out to breakfast at the cafe on Monday morning, so we are all clearer and normal working can re-commence.
Roll on Monday!

Lynn

U

user123

Ive decided to take the rubbish to the tip tomorrow, and Ive done a bit of a clean up today, in all fairness they are making progress, when the paper came off the walls are full of cracks, and they have been all filled and plastering has begun. It seems like one of them is the grafter and the other one is the gob a lot, I will also take them out to breakfast at the cafe on Monday morning, so we are all clearer and normal working can re-commence.
Roll on Monday!

Lynn

Gawd, must be different in London, here it would be seen as over the top molly coddling... I mean you're paying these guys, aren't you? And you are paying for their breakfast?? During working hours? Seems mad to me... actually, it would be construed as a come-on up here for sure... and you're taking the rubbish away... they must think they've died and gone to heaven... and progress is a side effect of getting the job done, Jeez....

C

Colour Republic

Gawd, must be different in London, here it would be seen as over the top molly coddling... I mean you're paying these guys, aren't you? And you are paying for their breakfast?? During working hours? Seems mad to me... actually, it would be construed as a come-on up here for sure... and you're taking the rubbish away... they must think they've died and gone to heaven... and progress is a side effect of getting the job done, Jeez....

You might be looking at it the wrong way though G, £10 on a breakfast is a tiny tiny fraction of the budget but we are all human and an act of kindness goes a long way, even a customer giving you a biscuit with a cup of tea can go a long way, such a tiny guesture but it makes it all the harder to then cut corners or take the mick when you are working for someone that you are grateful to.

U

user123

You might be looking at it the wrong way though G, £10 on a breakfast is a tiny tiny fraction of the budget but we are all human and an act of kindness goes a long way, even a customer giving you a biscuit with a cup of tea can go a long way, such a tiny guesture but it makes it all the harder to then cut corners or take the mick when you are working for someone that you are grateful to.

Tea, coffee, biscuits, sandwiches, yes all that, Strummerman will vouch for it, I like feeding people (just he doesn't eat anything! :lol: ) but cafe, nope, would never occur to me... as said, maybe it's different down South ... I just asked Howard about it and he just laughed and said no way! He's a Yorkshire man...

Reply to The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The builders are coming in!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.