Discuss The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

its no wonder imported labour does so well when you read this

timekeeping- if you get delayed or have van problems etc, ring the client and make them aware

breaks- grab some grub and rosie before you arrive , dont arrive , bring your tools on the job and disappear for a break, if your 2 hrs late- work through to make up lost time

earwigging on private conversations is an invasion of their privacy, any private conversation you do overhear should be forgotton as its none of your business

use of phone, -business only and as brief as possible

all basic stuff that I know most on here already follow but it beggars belief that there are still firms that behave this way and no wonder the public keep saying that imported labour works for their money wheras brit labour doesnt

I would be telling their guvnor that they approached you for a job, he might release them and get someone in who wants to work

P

Pebbs

Quiet day...Pebbs stopped play.

Today I had another pre-contract meeting, which started early a fair few miles away. I hate to say this, but I feel that I couldnt trust them with the keys, in my house is it just me? So I told them yesterday morning this, and they said its ok you can leave the key with us....I told them I couldnt because I was out of the house at 6am, and they wouldnt want to be calling round at that time in the morning. Theres something else thats bugging me, so I need some advice, clearance of rubbish, they put it in bin liners outside the house.. if that was me Id clear the job at the end of the day yes or no? and not leave it in bin bags outside.

Advise me please! Im worn out today, long cold day, came home and slept like a baby.

Lynn

S

Scott

I clear it at the end as long as the customer is cool with it being there. But its all in rubble sacks and kept as tidy as possible until the guys come and pick it up.

As for them being in your housei guess for most of us its different as the majority of us as self employed sole traders and used to being in domestic houses. You on the other hand are used to oiks on a buidling site and now have them in your house! I dont like people in my house either but if they got a job to doa nd i need it doing then so be it. I do leave tell tale 'things' around to see if anyone has been snooping

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

Few builders unless they have the man power and somewhere to store will take rubbish away at the end of each shift. If there is a skip then there would be no excuse. If they have a good business premises with a skip then if agreed prior they could take it away but I personaly would rather not be taking all rubbish to a skip at the end of each shift (I am one man band with no industrial unit/ yard)

If this bothers you then I would deffo raise this to the foreman. They will either clear daily or advise you to get a skip.

I should add though that I always do my best to ensure that the customers property is left as clean and tidy as it was when I entered. (at the end of each visit)

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

Quiet day...Pebbs stopped play.

Today I had another pre-contract meeting, which started early a fair few miles away. I hate to say this, but I feel that I couldnt trust them with the keys, in my house is it just me? So I told them yesterday morning this, and they said its ok you can leave the key with us....I told them I couldnt because I was out of the house at 6am, and they wouldnt want to be calling round at that time in the morning. Theres something else thats bugging me, so I need some advice, clearance of rubbish, they put it in bin liners outside the house.. if that was me Id clear the job at the end of the day yes or no? and not leave it in bin bags outside.

Advise me please! Im worn out today, long cold day, came home and slept like a baby.

Lynn

advice you say???

1) It's not good that you don't trust them in your house, hopefully the situation will get better and it's started a little bit ropey as they may be spreading themselves thin trying to wrap up another job. Not your fault but they are engaged now so give em a few more days to prove themselves i'd say.

That said you have pulled the plug on them at short notice which isn't great. Think how you would feel if your lads got told not come the following day and you couldn't fill that slot?

If you think you may pull the plug on them permently I would keep the moral ground by keeping to your side of the bargain at the moment, you don't want to give them any amunition to use against you.

2)I don't like the sound of bin liners. Are they thinking the bin men will take them? This is sometimes OK at the end of the job and it's household waste or packaging if agreed with the customer first. But at your stage of the project it's likely to be rubble. So should be in builders bags.

I always state how the rubbish will be cleared, either a skip or collections. But bare in mind that you are going to be paying for the clearence, so if you want it dealt with in a certain way it may well cost you more. If they intend to get carriers in then I'd ask them to keep all rubbish in a hidden area until it is collected. I agree this with the customers before the works start. By keeping it out of view you are keeping the neighbours happy, stopping those errr 'people' going through it looking for scrap and also stopping the local oiks setting fire to it for a laugh.

Reply to The builders are coming in! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The builders are coming in!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks