Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Tile Cutter Makes in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

T

tiler tom

I must admit I was first introduced to the Rubi and liked it. The main advantage that you could see the wheel to line up your cut. That was until I had to do a diamond set and then had difficulties until I used a Montolit which I found easier to use. Like you said Dave you then pick up your own ways of using your tools and now I don't have to see the wheel at all to judge my cut. Another advantage of the Rubi was to score a curved line such as for round a pedestal but I considered this too hit and miss to warrant choosing the Rubi over a Monti.

Like you said everyone likes certain attributes and these are mine. There is no reason that in the future I may want or need another cutter to do a particular job until then my monties serve me fine. :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sorry Dave by tubular I did not mean hollow as that would be insane, but there is no denying that there is a greater deal more force able to be exerted on the solid central rectangular section used in a Montolit in comparison to the rubi set up.

Take structural steel work in a building for example. Columns are usually cylindrical due to the force exerted from either end. The round section equals the force exerted around the entire section making it less likley to fail. Load bearing steel running horizontally is a square section as it is stonger to with stand force bearind down on it along its length.
That is why I prefer the central spine of the montolit. :thumbsup:

There must be 5 or 6 points where the preasure is dealt with on a cutter and it isn't left dfown to the thickness of the bars that act as RUNNERS for the scoring mechanism and not something to put up with great preasure. It's all about engineering and Rubi have it clocked with their breaking mechanism - it's all about the point preasure.

Also, one single squared flat bar doesn't hold the scoring wheel which can be a mm wide perfectly when you're scoring a tough tile, it can wobble a bit (try wobbling your breaker / scoring mechanism) where as two bars can hold it firm, and actually the runner on the Rubi has 4 points where it's connected to those bars, where as a single bar cutter has one single large unit holding the lot usually which is why it wobbles.

Though I do like the cutters that have the moving breakers on them as you can snap the tile half way up the cutter and that's handy sometimes.

Each to their own as awlays hey? I still think Rubi should bring their prices down, and BAL for that matter - but maybe they know something I don't and that's why they're number one hey?

Last edited:

Reply to Tile Cutter Makes in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Currently using TX700N but obviously now too small for the 1200x600mm I'm increasingly being...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Which Tile Adhesive and grout brand did you use the most in the last 12 months? And also...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
Tile Cutter Makes
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.4%