Discuss Tile on Tile? why we don't in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

Doing the perfect example at the mo of why we dont advise people of fixing tiles on existing tiles. Customer obviously wants the cheapest job but fortunately for him I talked him into stripping the tiles. Regardless of the weight issue, we always say, don't we, that we dont know how well the tiles are fixed. Well, tubbed addy for starters, all came off fairly easy, some fell off of their own accord but the scary bit was all the plasterboard was loose, just nailed here and there. wouldn't have been the tiles that came away, would have been the wall!

F

faithhealer

What did the customer say when you showed them?

Well done for not tiling over 'em mate!
I think I was more pleased because it proved what I was talking about.
some other work had been in the same house by a 'Plumber' and his side kick who popped in for a 'nose', today. Interesting conversation lol, their walls are, tile on tile, tubbed addy and dot and dab, 'The Un-Holy Trinity'

A

Alberta Stone

I have done it a few times although the tiles below were solid and so was the subfloor (small areas only), but for added precaution I made the client sign a paper stating that they specified I do so and said that I could only warranty so much of the job (level, straight, proper materials, etc, basically a cosmetic warranty as in, "it's going to look good, but I cannot warranty the integrity).
It is better to build on your own ground, but if you can't, then get a caveat in writing to protect you from any thing that you think may go wrong.

S

stu-180

Funny, my dad has move into a new care home and complained to them about the tiling, they said it was totally fine, 3 weeks later he was sitting in the living room and a mighty crash and bang and he went into the kitchen and there was tiles all over the place (double layered) , so they do fail ! , this was only a half a meter high strip (thankfully not a whole wall in a bathroom etc..)

I know people who have insisted that the tiler tiles over tiles for some reason (normally laziness to strip the walls).

Reply to Tile on Tile? why we don't in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tile on Tile? why we don't
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.