Discuss Tile on Tile? why we don't in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

am telling you long as the walls are stable, solid and you check it wont come out by the door frame tile on tile will be ok tilers dont want to tile on tile as it slips more and they cant handle it and use the oldest trick in the book health and safety
peace out

Well thats just made my day gizzy, all these years and I must have been getting it wrong all the time. The amount of wasted days I have spent removing tiles and prepping walls to get them to a suitable standard and all the time I should have rang you?
What a stupid tiler I must be, all those wages I could have saved to my lads and my customers. Thanks gizzy for that sound advice.

D

Deleted member 1779

In an example below the kitchen wall had been tiled, over tile over tile.
Room getting smaller... Time to get the demo hammer out !

27950_389992687013_617362013_4126400_530614_n.jpg

Far too many layers on this onion !
29490_393754862013_617362013_4225158_3763292_n.jpg

Going Going...

29490_393754982013_617362013_4225178_5481446_n.jpg

Gone!

29490_393754977013_617362013_4225177_4551_n.jpg

And thats the wall back to the basics...

Not only is the brickwork exposed but so are some previously hidden service pipes and wires
making identification easier.

29490_393754987013_617362013_4225179_6616894_n.jpg

After an hours work its TIME FOR A CUP OF TEEEEE

Most clients will expect some level of ripping out of a room to be included.
And time wise a small room shouldn't take more than a day to get back to the basic structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

people are just being daft about it now where did you all serve your time on a 3 week tiling course lol mine was with the best in scotland tofflo jackson so they must have been doing things wrong for 40 years lol ok then

the majority of our members on here are both time served/apprentice and tiling course entrants to the industry. the notion that tiling on to existing tiles is not a scare story told by tiling training centres, but is a frequent observation of experienced tilers who come across situations where 2-3 layers of tiles are stuck to wallpaper for example.

In the current day and age of health and safety, risk assessments and understanding the correct preparation methods, many tilers will not carry out work unless they are convinced that the substrate will hold. It does not matter whether these tilers are tiling course graduate or time served. People make a judgement call and most of the guys on here will not tile on tile and that is their view.

Gizzy please carry on with your tiling methods if they work for you. We are merely trying to point out that unless you know the substrate to be absolutely sound, tiling on top of tiled walls is not the done thing anymore.

I shall now close this thread as I believe everybody has had their chance to speak and do not think any further new comments can be added to this debate.

Reply to Tile on Tile? why we don't in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tile on Tile? why we don't
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.