Discuss Tile on Tile? why we don't in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

in the 8 year i have been tiling i havent seen a wall coming down due to being double tiled lol

it's very possible the installation hasn't failed, just in the same way it's very possible that the customers never rang you back to say the tiles had failed. in some circumstances, tile on tile can realistically be the only available option. but every professional tiler on here will never advocate the tile on tile installation method, regardless of success or failure in the past.

bathrooms and shower walls that have been tiled on to tile run the risk of tiles failing and falling on to people and children. when this is explained to customers, most understand this safety approach and realise the recommendation of stripping off the old tiles and ensuring the correct preparation work before the new tiles are fixed.

professional tilers will not want it on their conscience or insurance that a tile on tile job failed and injured somebody or wrecked a customer's bathroom etc.

D

diamondtiling

in the 8 year i have been tiling i havent seen a wall coming down due to being double tiled lol

In the 20 plus years that I have been tiling I have lost count of the so called pro fixers that seem to condone this bad practice. Funnily enough they are also the ones that always seem to be complaining about lack of work or bad customers.
Standards are there to be met and surpassed.

T

trevortine

I have been renovating two bathrooms from top to bottom in some exclusive flats recently. On leaving last night the guy next door called me in to quote for his two bathrooms, yup you guessed it, he wants tile on tile. Has already had three separate quotes, i told him the only way i would do it would be to strip out and renew existing plasterboard. He was never informed of the dangers of tile on tile and is considering my quote. But for three "reputable" guys to quote on this i find shocking.

D

dhsanta65

As siad before you do not know what is underneath the tiles, I had two jobs last year where customer wanted me to tile on tile.
Talked them round to striping them off, both jobs tiles seemed sound but when striped off one had been tile on top of wall paper and the other had three layers of tiles, weight issue with one and only wall paper paste to hold up tiles in the other case.
Better safe than sorry unless you have xray eyes.

D

Deleted member 1779

When I tackled the mother-in-laws place this was my challenge

27950_389992552013_617362013_4126378_3276115_n.jpg

But the tiles were on so bloody tight that I gave up and kango-ed right back to the brickwork.

27950_389992557013_617362013_4126379_4767387_n.jpg

Going.....

27950_389992587013_617362013_4126384_6019036_n.jpg

GONE!

37911_404742107013_617362013_4514225_1391153_n.jpg

The plus was more room and a solid base to work from

J

jay

Tiles on tiles is really a no brainer question
tile adh make adh witch state you can tile on to tile and they guarantee it just like the adh that can tile directly to floorboards
the answer is with the person fixing the tiles and like all tiling work they have to determine if the wall or floor area to be tiled is suitable as with every job you do
it comes down to experience and knowledge
walls should be avoided for tile on tile application but there are some exceptions
floors can be done but also have limitations

it all comes down to experience and being able to asses the substrate and its suitability

C

cornish_crofter

As has been said you have no idea how firm the original tiles are.

A bathroom I stripped out a couple of years ago had been tiled ove PVA.

PVA is a popular but incorrect 'priming agent' If some numpty has used PVA then one of us comes along and tiles over that..........................

Also, removing the tiles already there gives you up to an extra inch on the room. It may not sound a lot but in a small bathroom it can make all the difference.

R

Rob Z

This was one that I decided to tile over the existing floor. This bathroom was a total gut except for the floor, which was "wet set" in the early 1950's. Knowing how the house was built, how the joists ran, the thickness of the mud bed (over 4"), and a few other factors, led me to the decision to leave it in place. We cleaned the tile, skimmed it with thinset, covered it with a membrane and set the mosaics.

It's always a judgement call.

sutton design llc timeless kitchens and baths

Reply to Tile on Tile? why we don't in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tile on Tile? why we don't
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.