Discuss Tile on tiles advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JLM Tiling

Wotcha guys, hope everyone's well and business is good.

Right. Tile on tiles. Yeah I know what you're thinking, don't do it. That's what I said to the project manager when he first asked but we talked a bit more and it turns out he's got four other big jobs on the go and well it got my attention so I said I'd have a look. Begrudgingly though, I wasn't keen. Anyway I've had a look and the wall is skimmed plaster, in good nick it seems. Tiles on it are wafer thin 150 square, well attached, good addy (looks like Ardex x77w) and the grout is good, no cracks or anything. I said that really it should be ripped down but there just isnt the money etc. Figured if I don't do it someone else will and hey times are hard.

Oh yeah forgot to mention they're supplying the materials. It's some nicobond addy, never seen it before. And it's tubbed.

So water dispersion addy, on existing tiles, on skimmed plasterboard. I know what you're all thinking, it doesn't get much worse than that.

I've given him the technical details and argued this way and that but there is no convincing him. So gonna crack on.

My intention is to firstly score the existing tiles up with the grinder. This obviously is to give something for the gear to lock on to and also to expose the biscuit a bit which I'm hoping will help the gear to set.

Then wash it down with sugar soap to clean up the left over glazed faces.

Then i'm gonna painstakingly batten everything (wood bit, ceramic bit, plug, screw, tap tap, drill)

Then I'm gonna tile. Thinking 8mm trowel, was thinking about maybe ten (new tiles are 300 x 250) but then thought that that's gonna make the set even slower? As in more water to disperse as it were?

Then i'm gonna leave it for about three days while I do the kitchen and another toilet

And then grout, pick up my cheque and walk out the door feeling ashamed, used and kinda dirty!!

Anyway you're an opinionated lot, what do you think?!

J

JLM Tiling

The old tiles are 150mm x 150mm and then new ones are 300mm x 250mm. So sorry to dash your hopes!

Yeah it's in a yellow tub, never used it but checked it out and there are a few good reports.

She's a bugger alright. Thinking about getting him to sign a disclaimer saying I've advised against it and have taken all reasonable measures to guarantee a good fix however I will not accept liability. Don't know if that would be worth the paper it's printed on though. You're not a contracts lawyer by day and a tile advisor by night by any chance are you? No? Well you never know

J

JLM Tiling

Already tried, explained the difference between water dispersion and chemical set and he said that they've already got the gear. Had to ship it all from the mainland. Basically the QS messed up the pricing and they're way over budget. Like £1100 over budget, for the tiling, labour only.

Long and the short of it is I'm gonna do it. Got to really, this is gonna end up being two months of pretty well paid work and just been through a sketchy six weeks. Really was asking if there was anything else I could do besides the sugar soap and the grinder. And would three days be enough time to leave it set?

S

Stewart

Nicobond ultragrip will not be dry in three days, even though it states on the tub it's suitable for tile on tile. I use a lot of Nicobond products, but haven't touched their tubs for quite a few years now. In my opinion you will be over the weight limit for the substrate. I seriously doubt the use of Ardex to put up original tiles and Nicobond ultragrip is unfit for purpose on this occasion Your reputation is on the line, and though I can understand you have bills to pay, you also have a duty of care to the end customer who will inherit the work that you will be responsible for.

I also have to say that every time a tiler agree's to do potential work on substandard prep, he/she makes it that little bit harder for every other tiler to then ask for suitable prep and materials to carry out their work and on a whole drag the trade of tiling back to the dark ages. Sounds excessive, but true!

---
- Sent from iPhone.....

C

chille

Totally understand where you are coming from, needing the work because times are hard, but times will seem a hell of a lot harder if the job fails and you don't get paid.
I really hope it goes well for you, but I personally wouldn't fancy it basically a good bit of work with a fair chance of lots of grief to follow, and guess what no one will remeber the QS screwed up it will all be about you.
Its shocking how these chancers ask us to do bad jobs in order to bail them out, they should take the extra dosh needed out of the QS's wages, or downgrade his/her car from an Audi to a Kia. . . . ha ha
Good luck with it bud.

J

jwatson

hello,not one i would like to take on but if you are going ahead with this why dont you take his tubbed gear hes supplying and use it on another more suitable job later and you supply some cement based adhesive,might make you feel a bit more at ease about the job and wont burst your bank either?

hope it works out for you

This looks like best bet.
spatter dash coat should be used on tiles. before fixing.
acrylic bonding and rapid set adi mix

D

DHTiling

Wotcha guys, hope everyone's well and business is good.

Right. Tile on tiles. Yeah I know what you're thinking, don't do it. That's what I said to the project manager when he first asked but we talked a bit more and it turns out he's got four other big jobs on the go and well it got my attention so I said I'd have a look. Begrudgingly though, I wasn't keen. Anyway I've had a look and the wall is skimmed plaster, in good nick it seems. Tiles on it are wafer thin 150 square, well attached, good addy (looks like Ardex x77w) and the grout is good, no cracks or anything. I said that really it should be ripped down but there just isnt the money etc. Figured if I don't do it someone else will and hey times are hard.

Oh yeah forgot to mention they're supplying the materials. It's some nicobond addy, never seen it before. And it's tubbed.

So water dispersion addy, on existing tiles, on skimmed plasterboard. I know what you're all thinking, it doesn't get much worse than that.

I've given him the technical details and argued this way and that but there is no convincing him. So gonna crack on.

My intention is to firstly score the existing tiles up with the grinder. This obviously is to give something for the gear to lock on to and also to expose the biscuit a bit which I'm hoping will help the gear to set.

Then wash it down with sugar soap to clean up the left over glazed faces.

Then i'm gonna painstakingly batten everything (wood bit, ceramic bit, plug, screw, tap tap, drill)

Then I'm gonna tile. Thinking 8mm trowel, was thinking about maybe ten (new tiles are 300 x 250) but then thought that that's gonna make the set even slower? As in more water to disperse as it were?

Then i'm gonna leave it for about three days while I do the kitchen and another toilet

And then grout, pick up my cheque and walk out the door feeling ashamed, used and kinda dirty!!

Anyway you're an opinionated lot, what do you think?!

What can i say.. you know it isn't safe on skimmed walls but going to do it anyway.. hope no kids use that room..

J

JLM Tiling

It's not skimmed it's plasterboard. The weight comes to just under 30k. Anyways you lot are right, I can't do this and walk away callIng myself a tiler. Two of the Walls are actually block work, stripping one of them back and priming going on with a big trowel to pick up the holes and stuff. The other one of those is in good nick so priming that with p82 and going on it and the plasterboard is coming down, 12.5 marmox up and tiling. Gonna use the nicobond on the wedi and the block and gonna use powder on the final wall. It's all coming out of my pocket. Oh well, call it my good deed for the month!! Thanks to everyone for not letting me do this, dave you clinched it, you're so right. Another job with no money in it!!! Considering giving up on life and going to work in an office. Nah just kidding, would miss you lot!!

D

DHTiling

Anyway I've had a look and the wall is skimmed plaster
The weight comes to just under 30k. Anyways you lot are right, I can't do this and walk away callIng myself a tiler. Two of the Walls are actually block work, stripping one of them back and priming going on with a big trowel to pick up the holes and stuff. The other one of those is in good nick so priming that with p82 and going on it and the plasterboard is coming down, 12.5 marmox up and tiling. Gonna use the nicobond on the wedi and the block and gonna use powder on the final wall. It's all coming out of my pocket. Oh well, call it my good deed for the month!! Thanks to everyone for not letting me do this, dave you clinched it, you're so right. Another job with no money in it!!! Considering giving up on life and going to work in an office. Nah just kidding, would miss you lot!!

I just saw this part... ? ^^^^

But you say not now..?
It's not skimmed it's plasterboard.

Either way best not to risk it..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile on tiles advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tile on tiles advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.