UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tile onto tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

in all my years tiling i have done this quite a lot[tile over tile] ,ther are alot of customers out there who can not afford to have the tiles taken off and walls re~plastered,times are hard enough at the moment[or is that only in wales],as isay if the old tiles are stuck solid thre will be no problem as the weight of the tiles is evenly distributed over the full walls not just in one spot.I myself would give it a guarantee never mind the adhesive companys,so as i say imo no probs.

D

doug boardley

in all my years tiling i have done this quite a lot[tile over tile] ,ther are alot of customers out there who can not afford to have the tiles taken off and walls re~plastered,times are hard enough at the moment[or is that only in wales],as isay if the old tiles are stuck solid thre will be no problem as the weight of the tiles is evenly distributed over the full walls not just in one spot.I myself would give it a guarantee never mind the adhesive companys,so as i say imo no probs.
in all my years tiling I've always stuck to the same principles of "never gamble" with unknown prior istallations, this principle has led to repeat work from customers plus the chain of countless recommendations. This stems from the principle of doing the job right without being hindered by cheapskate influences and "taking a gamble". The choice is yours.

M

mikethetile

I cant believe that anyone would risk their reputation anyway but to risk it now when we are heading for another recession is businesss suicide

no addy manufacturer will reccomend or guarantee that their addy will hold up in such circumstances , the only thing they can be sure of is that with correct prep their addy will fix to a ceramic surface and thats as far as they will go. they do not and will not concur tile on tile as theres no way that anyone can know the condition of the substrate the existing tiles are adhered too

there are too many people looking to cut costs and those same people will look for any excuse not to pay or to sue you if the job fails in the future. they wont take responsibility , they will blame you for going ahead with the job knowing its wrong and stitching them up

tile on tile is a mugs game, you are putting your name on the previous tilers work and if that was only just good enough then you could pay the price and damage your reputation

remember

if someones happy with you they will tell ten other people

if they are unhappy they will tell a hundred

do the maths. one bad job wipes out the last ten good ones

i take things one job at atime, I make sure that job is perfect then move onto the next, and so on

I wont risk my rep to save someone else a days money

D

Daz

I agree with the advice provided by Doug and the Elite guys (they are given the tags for a reason), you cannot guarantee the existing installation so why risk your reputation.

You do not know what the existing substrate is. For example, if it is a plastered wall and the plaster has been there for many years there is a danger that it may have blown in one or two areas. Adding another layer of tiles could push it too far and you will have a nice mosaic pattern on the floor rather than a lovely tiled wall.

During this year I have been asked to tile over tile twice. In both instances, I discovered two layers of tiles when I removed them. If I had added a third layer I am sure I would have been liable for the clean up, repair of damage to bath etc, a plasterer, the cost of replacement tiles and my additional labour to rectify the job - no thanks!

If the customer will not see sense, then do your reputation and credibility a favour and walk away, it's not worth the risk IMO.

D

Daz

BTW, just to add that if you are thinking of using a tubbed adhesive you will have added issues. Tiles are a non porous substrate so dispersion adhesive will struggle to dry fully. If the new tile size is any larger than 200 x 250mm then, IMO, it will never become fully dry, so never reach a full bond strength.

If you are still willing to risk your reputation then I would advise that you thoroughly clean with sugar soap, remove the glaze from the existing tiles, prime with acrylic adhesive and use a flexible cement based adhesive. In the time it takes you to clean and de-glaze you will probably have the tiles off the walls anyway so, again, a no brainer from where I'm sat.

T

The D

the problem is what is underneath the tiles. what adhesive was used? what is the sub straight? what was the method of fixing ie dot and dab?
i had a job and the chap wanted me to tile on tile so i suggested removing one tile to see what was there.it was already tile on tile and the first tiles was dot and dab and that was on to painted artex and that was on to crumbly old lath and plaster.

B

bootsmckiber

I to have done this in situations where budget/time is tight,I'm with Brian,if the first layer of tile is stuck down good enough,and the weights evenly distributed, then give er,I put a thin coat of SLC mostly to fill in the grout depressions,I've never in 27 yrs had a callback,but to CYA and be proffesional like Doug says and a practice that should be second nature to all tilers,before starting a job always check what's holding up the floor,for instance,if this fellows tile job is on ground level then support doesn't even enter the picture,cheer's,Boot's

D

DHTiling

In all your years tiling.. Maybe all these years you have done it wrong..??..

Just because an adhesive will stick a tile on tile, does that make it right..?

How can you guarantee that the first lot of tiles are well adhered..?? The safest method is to remove and i personally emphasise this with all my customers and as a professional trade then you should be as well, never mind in this climate we can't be choosy.. We have to do a job how it should be done and not how a DIY would do it.

Don't take this personally but it annoys me when long standing tilers have this attitude...

Reply to Tile onto tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.